Topic

lol: world’s lightest stuff sacs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear lol: world’s lightest stuff sacs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wouter tas

@joopiii

During my cycling trip through South America, I somehow got one nylon stocking about size of sneaker socks in my laundry bag.
    Used it as a UL stuff sack for the rest of the trip. They stuff your stuff surprisingly well.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Yeah, I've started using netting or organza stuff sacks for organizational purposes.

Ripstop poly/nylon is overkill for most applications.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Great Idea! Gonna try it.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I use lightweight but tough no-see-um netting to make stuff sacks, maybe 0.5 to 0.9 oz/sq-yd. They weigh next to nothing and are quite strong. I often make them from scraps from other projects, but new material is inexpensive.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

+1 on the netting. I find the bit of stretch beneficial as well as being able to see what is in the bag and where it is located. I then have one big pack liner (compactor bag) that keeps out the water.

The only exception is my sleeping bag that now goes in a BA Pumphouse bag for my mattress. In the outside mesh pockets I place things I don't want to get wet in ziplock freezer bags.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The netting works pretty good, and I have sewed up several stuff sacks. The stretch is a slight problem for me. When I am sewing seams, it tends to stretch randomly, so I end up with curvy seams.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good for rigging a tent gear loft – for those who use them.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Bob, I use a half inch wide strip of nylon and wrap around the seam before stitching, just pin it 4 or 5 times. Keeps it straight.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I might not be able to afford the extra gram of nylon.

–B.G.–

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools