Topic

Shangri-la 3 as backpacking family tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shangri-la 3 as backpacking family tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I backpack solo, and hope to start backpacking with one kid (age 6) and sometimes the entire family (wife + 4 kids, ages 6 months to 6 years). We'd mostly be going on trips in the mountains of West Virginia with 2-4 miles of hiking per day with a 3 night maximum. (Dad can only carry so much diapers and baby food!) I would also ideally like to use one of the tents by myself for camping in all seasons, including winter with heavy snow accumulations in the mountains. I currently only have an 8×10 silnylon tarp which I'll continue to use when solo and I don't need something heavier.

I'm thinking of getting two Golite Shangri-la 3 tents. Rather than get the nest (bug net/floor inner tent), I might get just the floor and sew in my own bug netting perimiter and door. This will put the weight of each 3 person shelter at about 3.5 lbs for a total of 7 lbs. A few other factors are the teepee shape appeal to both me and the kids, and the silnylon Golite uses is PU-coated on one side to help prevent silnylon misting.

What are your thoughts on this? Bad idea? Better options? Tried the Shangri-la 3 and did or didn't like it?

The main problem I see with this is condensation, and the kids will probably get their bags wet from inevitably touching the wet walls. I'll of course pitch the fly high enough for decent ventilation, but I'm sure condensation will happen in this humid summer environment.

I'm also a little unsure about how well the Shangri-la fly will keep out spindrift compared with a double wall tent, but it seems to be used successfully by many in winter.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I used a Go-lite hex with a buddy one time and liked it alot. Its pretty much the same thing as the shangri-la 3 but a newer name I guess????

I love single wall shelters with removable floors especially when waiting out a storm..

Why do you want to buy 2 of them? Weight? When your family doesn't come? Why don't you just get someone to build you a bigger cuben one??? Probably the same price and weight as two plus you could could get exactly what you want..

Graham Smith
    BPL Member

@myotis

Have you thought about one SL3 plus one SL5. For not too much of a weight penalty, the SL5 would give a more usable "family" space in poor weather and more flexible options for occasions when you only needed one tent.

The problem with the tipi design is that the steeply sloped sides eat into the space available when you need to sit up in the tent and the SL3 would be a tight fit for your family to all get together in one tent.

Mind you I speak from a UK perspective where bad weather and being in a tent tend to go together.

Graham

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

You may also want to consider the MLD, Oware, TiGoat and other Pyramids. They may be lighter.

Although the pyramids may be narrower at the top, they are usually taller than other shelters. Some people feel less claustrophobic in a pyramid.

Pyramids have the advantage of shedding wind very well. I have seen them pitched next to other tents in a gale on an exposed beach and am sold on the shape.

Also condensation is less of an issue with pyramids as the shape allows the water to run down the walls into the ground. So make sure you have a gap between the floor and the walls.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Oh, and yes, the shape is very good for snow.
    1) The snow has no place to pile up so it slides down the side and piles up around the bottom. Ventilation can be a problem so make sure the top vent is wide open, even if you get some spindrift.

2) You can extend the sleeping area in deep snow in a floor-less pyramid. There are many articles on the net about doing this.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Other option of course is the BD Megalight. I'd error toward the side of more room, especially w/the kids. At least maybe one big "main" tent? Shoot, you might still be able to find a Golite Shangri-La 6 or 8 on close-out… ?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I love my Hex3.

The shangri la 5 teepee looks awesome. Only a few ounces more than the three, and you get the whole family in one tent!

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

You could try a Shangrila 6 with a Shangrila 4 nest. I have this combo and it works well, so far (limited field testing).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools