Topic

Whiskey in a Platypus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Whiskey in a Platypus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brian Martin
    BPL Member

@xiled1

Locale: AZ

Anyone have any issues carrying Whiskey in a 0.5 Liter Platy ? I've used it about 10 times, all with Crown Royal. Always seemed to affect the taste a little, but not enough to complain about. Then I put Makers Mark in it and that tasted horrible. So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It also could have been that the Crown taste mixed with the bourbon. I've never been able to get the Crown taste out of the Platy.

So is there a better container to use? Nalgene maybe?

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

Yeah I get a rubber taste as well

If you're ;ooking for UL wash out a Gatorade bottle.

Ig not get something like a Sigg.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

doesn't platy make a wine bag? would that be any better than their normal water bag?

Charles S. Forstall

@csforstall

Locale: The Appalachian Foothills of TN

nm

Brian Vogt
    BPL Member

@slickhorn

affecting taste and leaving a taste in the platy. ouzo was the worst offender.

I now recycle bottled water containers. 24oz is perfect for a fifth. no contaminated taste, and I don't care if I leave a taste in the bottle.

other option is to take some powdered mixer. Bar Tenders makes a pretty good dry margarita powder. add water and tequila. easy to find on amazon.com.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

te-wa 'ritas

frozen limeaid
    100% blue agave Tequila (cazadores, el tesoro or hornitos works)

I use store-brand limeaid frozen concentrate. Mix one can with 12oz tequila will make a 2x concentrate. add water at camp. it will make nearly 2L of margaritas. dont bother with salt, real margaritas dont use salt.

here's the containers i use for whisky, whiskey, and whatnot.. (platy is an overhyped, overpriced pos that last 6 months at best…)
    these are nearly identical: http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/flasks.aspx

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Guys if you want a real margarita, try it this way.

3 parts tequila
    1 part Prunier/Cointreau/Citronge/or TripleSec
    2 parts Lime Juice
    tiny squirt of Agave nectar.
    1 dash sea salt optional.

Seriously, I'd avoid the Rose's stuff. Yes bartenders use it the world over, but it's horrible quality, and there's really no reason to use it.

This recipe makes a traditional, very strong 'Rita, add water to dilute to taste (which I don't advocate.)

P.S. El Jimador has recently had a massive price reduction, I assume to compete with the craptastic Cuervo gold market in the US. 1.75L bottles of the Reposado and Silver are $30 in my state now, down from like $55.

This is a great bargain for a very good quality tequila, without wasting the cash on fancy bottle art. This seems to be a trend, I've seen a few other very good tequilas starting to offer plain bottles at 30% cheaper prices, which makes me happy.

P.P.S. Good tequila recommendations for the money by Te-Wa, but I wouldn't waste Don Filipe's Treasure in a rita ;)

Brian Martin
    BPL Member

@xiled1

Locale: AZ

As far as mixes go, I usually just add a little water to my Whiskey. I don't want to cover anything up, just keep it untainted.

Those rum runner flasks look very much like a Platypus, but nothing on the site about materials or coatings. I'd imagine they are the same materials as the Platy, just a different manufacturer. In which case, I'm back to my original issue. But, they are a local company so I will give them a call.

Thanks for the input.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

holy carp, Javan!

el jimador in 1.75 costs about $18-20 depending on retailer. but then, im much closer to guadalahara :)

here's one that some local Tempe/Scottsdale boys are making. under strict control of the Mex govt, of course: http://www.cruztequila.com

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

yep, we get screwed in GA pretty much in regards to everything alcohol related.

Cruz looks good, I haven't tried it yet, I don't think we have distribution yet. Although I'm mostly trying to boycott the "artesenal" style anymore, I'm really sick for paying $15+ more for a luxury container.

As much as I'm a tequila fanatic, I think the idea that a really top end bottle of tequila should cost as much as a 14-20yo bottle of Single Malt is absurd. Especially when you think about the difference in production cost. Tequila has really gotten out of hand since everyone starting getting obsessed with Patron (which makes me laugh).

Regarding RR Flasks, I'm pretty sure they're manufactured by the same plant as Platys. There was a discussion on another section of the forums once about them. Good deal if you need alot of containers.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

yes, Patron is a joke. $59? hardly..
    they dont even grow their own agave! they purchase it from local sources, which results in a who-knows-where it comes from.

RR containers will work great if you love Makers Mark, Jack Daniels, and Smirnoff but dont want to cross pollute. they also make perfect w/e alcohol stove fuel holders.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

This is perhaps the most important topic raised on BPL…

I just bought a .5L platy, but no longer plan on using it for Whiskey. It seems small used water bottles seem more appropriate – I'm not sure what liquor travel bottles are made of (some type of #1 recyclable plastic??). Come to think of it, why not use a plastic pint or half/pint bottle from the liquor store…anyone have problems with residual flavors??? I don't really want to taint my Macallan.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

If you roll with Macallan, I wanna hike with you ;P

We should start a "Top Shelf Alcoholic Hikers" club and setup some group hikes ;)

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I think it's all in your head folks. I've been carrying Dalwhinnie 15 year single malt and haven't noticed any off flavors from the platy.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Yeah I've noticed lingering flavors from alcohol if I later re-use my platy for water, but I haven't noticed any flavor contamination.

That being said, i've only used this particular one for tequila and water.

Brian Vogt
    BPL Member

@slickhorn

If you use the same platy for the same booze, you'll likely be OK. Using a booze platy for water later? Funk. Using a Whiskey platy for Rum? Funk.

If you don't believe me, leave some ouzo in a platy for a week, then try to get it clean. Don't do this with a platy you want to use for anything other than ouzo.

it is most definitely not in my mind.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Has anyone tried these —

http://www.disposableflasks.com/

They seem to sell on Ebay quite cheap. Only hold about 5 shots each, but that might be easier to stash in the backpack? Might be a concern for the multiple packaging weight, but if they are anything like the Platys they might weigh next to nothing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools