Topic

Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

That UL genius, Glen van Peski has done it again! The new Mariposa Plus UL pack is finally here. See it at http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Mariposa-Plus.html

The biggest difference that I can see between the Plus and the original Mariposa is the use of 70 denier 2.2 oz. urethane-coated ripstop nylon in place of 40 denier 1.3 oz silnylon.

This adds 3 ounces to the weight as well as greater durability & abrasion resistence. Weight is 17.8 – 20.5 oz. depending on features installed. The original Mariposa is 14.8 – 18.2 oz.

Oh yes, and you can get it in sage green as well as the original royal blue for those who want to blend into the environment more (makes it harder for the IRS -or SAR – to find you).

The price is unchanged.

Wandering Bob

Tim Kling

@tkling

Wow, perfect timing. I was really looking into the Vapor Trail packs just because of durability concerns. Does the external mesh have a larger volume as well? Definitely looks it.

Its great how sometimes decisions are made for you.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I prefer to use a hammock, so often I have no sleeping pad, although I sometimes carry a 2-section Z-Rest (20″x10″) as a sit-pad or I might carry a GG ThinLight pad as hammock insulation. I wondered how well a Gossamer Gear pack would work with no pad, or a minimal pad, in the back pad-holder. I’m pasting below my e-mail to Gossamer Gear and the response, in hopes that this information is be useful to others who also don’t carry a sleeping pad, or whose sleeping pad won’t fit in a GG pack’s pad-holder.

===============================

To: [email protected]
    Subject: Mariposa Plus: a few questions
    Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 4:01 PM

I’m considering purchasing a medium/large Mariposa Plus backpack. I often use a hammock, so I don’t carry a sleeping pad. I notice that you recommend a Z-Lite pad cut down to six sections. Assuming that I’m also using the stays, what is the minimum number of sections that will give effective bag and back-mesh support: would two sections of Z-Lite be sufficient? If not, then would four?
    [One section of Z-Rest measures 20″x5″; thus, it takes two sections to span the pad-holder area.]

Instead of inserting a sleeping pad in the back of the pack, would a Wide (or Wide/Long) 1/8″ ThinLight insulation pad unrolled in the packbag give it sufficient shape? Is the packbag at least 30″ tall without involving the expansion collar?
    [The Wide ThinLight is 29″ wide; the Wide/Long ThinLight is 30″ wide.]

Thanks in advance. I’ll post your response on BackPackingLight.com, since there are probably others who would be interested.

To: Douglas Frick
    Subject: RE: Mariposa Plus: a few questions
    Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:14:22 -0500

Hello Douglas,
    Good questions,
    1. You’ve got many options with the Mariposa line, or with the G4 or G5 as well. In the outside pad holder you can use a cut down Z-lite, 2 sections is enough for me but 4 works and so does six. If you put too many in it holds the pack too far off of your back IMHO. You can also use our torso pad or a single section of one (my preference). You can also use a therma-rest minimally inflated and folded. Some people don’t put anything in there at all and just pack carefully. Again, I personally prefer a single section nightlight torso pad or a cut down Z-Lite because it keeps the pack close to my body, gives some shape/cushion, and the convoluted shape of these pads helps with sweat evaporation. Plus this pad can be used to sit on in camp or on breaks and makes the base of my pillow or extends whatever pad I’m sleeping on.

2. the pack body without the extension collar is about 25 1/2″. So, while rolling up a pad and putting it inside the pack in a tube works and many customers do it the wide/long would be a bit long for that unless you used the extension collar maxed out. This is more commonly done with our 3/8 thinlight, 3/4 nightlight, or any other longer and bulkier pad.

Thanks, and thanks for the heads up on posting this, greatly appreciated.
    Grant

I hope others who are considering a GG pack find this useful. (I ordered the Mariposa Plus.)

James E Naphas
    Spectator

@naphas

I have a regular mariposa, and I don’t think I’d try to use it without a pad in the pad pocket while using the stays, as they’d be rubbing directly on your back. I can’t comment on the minimal number of sections, however. I use a thermarest ultralight in the pocket, partially inflated. If it is inflated too much the pack ends up too far from your back and tends to pull back too much.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>I have a regular mariposa, and I don’t think I’d try to use it without a pad in the pad pocket while using the stays, as they’d be rubbing directly on your back.

I tried it with the stays and without a pad; I agree with you.

> I can’t comment on the minimal number of sections, however.

Two sections of Z-Rest (or one section of GG NightLight) appear to be sufficient, although I haven’t had it on the trail yet. The stays keep the shape regardless. I’m going to try it without the stays soon, and see if minimum sections still keep the shape reasonable.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Grant,

Hope that you are still considering the Mariposa that will be 5.5 inches thick vs the current 7.5 for all the folk who have sereously reduced their volume and can’t fill the current pack even with 4-5 days of food…. I’d like to have seriel nunber one.

Perhaps some others will weigh in on this size.

Enjoyed our Trail Days discussions….Thanks for making the trip.

Pan/Jack

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

I’m still hoping for a heavier duty G6 … hint, hint!

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Michael… have you considered the MLD Prophet 30? It is made from (I believe) somewhat more durable fabric. It’s got a little less volume tho’.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

David …

I have looked at the MLD … but could use a little more space and something just a little more durable than either pack. I really like the simple designs of the UL packs, but enjoy the more durable materials since I cant get to the really light weight pack weights some other scan.

I need the space for my xxl size jackets, larger sleeping bag, etc. to fit my size.

James E Naphas
    Spectator

@naphas

Maybe you should check out the new line of packs from ULA equipment. The pack material is dyneema, which is about as bullet-proof as you’re going to get, short of kevlar <g>.

ULA is at http://www.ula-equipment.com

Something along the lines of the Circuit might work for you.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Michael,

Actually, I’d say take a look at the ULA Relay.

ULA Relay

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Michael… I’m not sure you’d be able to get your gear in a G6 either… the Whisper is pretty small… just a bit wider than the Prophet and with a bigger extension collar.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Thanks for the feedback. I will look at one of the larger ULA packs.

Grant Sible

@grantsible

Howdy,
    Jack, it was great to meet ya’ll too, and to check out your outstanding gear.

Glen and I recently sat down to prioritize our new gear directions for the coming months/year. High up on that list is a “new” UL or SUL pack that will be a smaller volume pack like the G6 but with more features like the G5 and/or the Mariposa. We haven’t decided on a fabric or anything else yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it in several versions. I have no other details to share since this is in the early planning stages but it will happen.
    Grant

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Grant,

Thanks for the update…I’ll be watching for it …Thanks.

Pan

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

I use a 1/16 inch pad in the Mariposa pad pocket. It is folded in half in some spots and in fourths in some spots, so thickest parts are 1/4″ thick. I find that to be plenty of cushion to keep the stays from bothering my back.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools