Topic

Ideas for vegetarian no cook lunches?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Ideas for vegetarian no cook lunches?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

This will be my first season as a vegetarian. My main course in the past was jerky or packaged fish. I also quit eating all refined sugar. :-(

I'm familiar with nut and seed butters, nuts and seeds, trail mix and crackers, bread sticks, dried fruit and the like. I love all the different bars available too but they are too often loaded with various sugars and too much of them for me. I want some pizzazz though…and something that'll fill my heavy weight style appetite without weighing me down!

I have my vegetarian breakfasts and dinners dialed in. It's just my lunches that need some creativity.

Anyone have some ideas?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Couscous salads, lentil salads – no cooking needed, just 15 to 30 minutes soak time.
    Also hummus and bean spreads, rehydrate almost instantly.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Pine cones, bark, lichen, moss.

Seriously though I'm not a vegetarian but my trail lunches generally are. I just snack all day with various bars, cookies, etc. Sometimes I'll rehydrate dried tabouleh or hummus as I hike so it's ready when I stop.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I just tried this:

1 cup instant rice
    1/2 tsp mild chili powder
    1 packet powdered coconut milk
    (the ones from packitgourmet.com)
    1 small handful white grape raisins

Add 1 cup boiling water

I might cut back on the water an ounce or two- it was a little runny. But it was pretty good, and you can't get any more simple. I'm all about simple. You put all the ingredients into the freezer bag at home- they are dry.

Han Ngiam

@hanngiam

In addition to Dean's coconut rice recipe adding a slice of ginger and a pandanus leaf or two makes it an excellent meal!

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bread + marinara sauce + cheese = pizza
    Tostadas + hummus

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Along the lines of what Sarah said, check out Dicentra's website onepanwonders.com and click on the salads link in the recipes section. They are excellent. I just polished off the Chickpea Salad #1 for lunch at work. Most of the ingredients that I used came from harmonyhousefoods.com. I poured a little water to cover into the bag when I got to work, and it was soft and ready for lunch.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks to all that replied. I have ideas now!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Recently I've been really on the shake kick, after a few threads here of people talking about supplementing their dietary needs by this method. Sounded gross at first, but I've founds some awesome combos.

Here's my favorite so far:

3 Parts Hemp Protein Powder+Macca (Vanilla Spice by Living Harvest)
    1-2 parts Raw Chia Seed (this stuff is extremely protein rich)
    1 part either Powdered Goat's Milk, Milled Oats, or Quinoa
    A bit of sugar.

I just mix this up a few servings in a ziplock before leaving, add to water and let sit a few, or even better, add hot water. It's actually pretty tasty.

Otherwise I like Thai Kitchen Rice Soup packets, they're lighter and healthier than Ramen. I also love Currey Cashews, and my major addiction is dried organic Mangoes.

Really love burritos for lunch also, I dehydrate taco meat style tvp with chopped small veggies and mushrooms, this stuff reconstitutes real fast. If you want a recipe, let me know, it's seriously good stuff.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks, Javan! I was actually in the store the other night eye balling the hemp protein powder wondering how I might utilize it. One more tool for my tool box…..errr, food for my lunch box. My belly gonna be happy!

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

I've been kinda into some healthy eating and I started baking my own clif bar type things. Idk if you mind eating bars all day but I plan to, so here's the recipe:

20-25 min @ 350*F

2C oats (using flaked rye, spelt, etc. also works). Soak in vinegar solution 8hr to minimize phytates if you like, then strain in cheesecloth and increase cook time til firm.
    1/2 C soy flour for protein
    1t cinnamon, optional
    1/2t baking soda
    1/8t salt
    1/2C PB, you can use any nut butter or sub for 1/3C melted butter.
    1/2C Brown sugar (can sub for Molasses til texture)
    1/3C Honey
    2 Eggs
    2T or to texture canola oil, can sub for grapeseed.
    2t Vanilla extract, optional
    1/2C chopped nuts

I've also had success adding chocolate flavor protein powder, adding liquids until the proper texture is reached: clumping into a big ball and thick. Spread on cookie sheet and cook on parchment paper until firm and not burned. Cool on the paper on a rack.

You can also dehydrate this recipe (sans egg) for a crunchy consistency and the raw benefit.
    Makes ~16 bars.

The dehydrated salads are good ideas, guys! Tortilla with taboule and cheese? What happens if I dehydrate salsa? They make sour cream powder, which could be added to cheese powder whenever possibly delicious.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

John, your bars sound pretty cool. How do you like the taste? How much does each batch cost you? Do you have an approximate idea of calories per ounce?

I eat a ton of Clif Bars and if I could save money by doing something like this, that'd be awesome.

Thanks!

-Nate

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

I'm getting 182 Kcal/bar for 16ths, which are smaller than clif bars. I would estimate the recipe at 33oz, so 2oz/bar.

so..
    roughly 90Kcal/oz? (compared to Clif's 99)
    and $8.30/batch = ~$.50/bar up to maybe $.75/bar if you match Clif's kcal count.

PS they do taste pretty darn good. using butter and chocolate = win.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

That's awesome. I'm going to have to try this.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Your recipe sounds good, John. Thanks!

Question for Javon…or anyone else making shakes like that. Do the ingredients stick to the container you make them in? I prefer to carry one stainless Klean Kanteen so would be making my shakes in that then, when finished, rinse it out and refill with water. I'd prefer not to have any after taste in my water but don't care to have to spend much time trying to get the shake residue out of my water bottle.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Citrus Lentil Salad

you can use soy feta or omit the feta altogether

Other recipes – Scroll down to the Dips section

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Vegan no cook, no dishes backpacking:

breakfast: Odwalla bar and dried fruit
    lunch: Pro Bar.
    Dinner: cold couscous in a freezer bag. Soak in water for a bit. You can mix in your favorite spices, nuts, dried fruit and/or TVP. (I usually cook mine, but if you really don't want the weight of an esbit tab and a lighter, go for it cold.)
    snacks: bars and trail mix and dried fruit and homemade oatmeal peanut butter balls.
    Lick spoon to clean dishes.
    dessert: Larabar

bon appetit.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks for the additional ideas, you two. Great recipes on the site.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

ouch Jeremy… might as well go sprouted brown rice at that point ;~(

Where's the humanity?

Darren Bagnall

@dbagnall

Locale: El Portal, CA

Jeremy – that can't be much more 1200 calories! Doesn;t seem like enough for backpacking; not for me anyways.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools