Topic

Boots to Trail runners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Boots to Trail runners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    john parker
    BPL Member

@orclwzrd

Locale: Illinois

I've got a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX that I really like. However, in the interests of lightening up I'm looking at trail runners. Background, I got the Goretex boots after spending a weekend with wet feet in shoes that wouldn't dry out. The boots are comfy and do the job but like I said, I'm trying to lighten up. I've looked at Brooks Cascadia and North Face Prophecy. I think at this point, I like the Prophecy better. I'm looking for suggestions to try on. I'm trying to short circuit trying on every shoe at REI. My lunch hour is only so long…

Keep in mind I'm not SUL or UL but I am trying for lighter gear

John
    Trying to lighten up

Travis Davis
    Spectator

@rockytop

Try the Salomons! I've got the XA Pro 3Ds and i love them!

John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

i went from scarpa boot to inov8 320 (or 315) and luv them. Great, lighter, good looking too!

Order from zappos – free shipping both ways/// no need to use your lunch break at rei now :)

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

What are feet like? Companies that make trail runners, like those that make boots use a variety of different lasts. What are your Asolo's, high or low volume? Straight or curved last? Do you use orthotics or not? Do you want to use a thick sock or thin, or a thin liner with a thicker second sock? All of these affect fit.

And then how stiff do you want the shoe to be? Several Montrails have a full length plastic plate. This makes them generally stiff (though less so than most boots) but offers benefits similar to a full length shank in terms of lateral stability and protects the foot from feeling the rocks. Their newer models, Sabino Trail and AT tend to run wider than most, and pretty much true to length. The AT so far seem solid enough for off trail hiking/backpacking.

Asics tend to run true to width and length and without the full length plate are much more flexible, and lighter. I find them good for good trails, but a bit to soft for rougher trails, and would never consider them off trail.

New Balance (the only other trail runner I've tried) tend to run a bit short, but have the most options as far and both size and width are concerned. I couldn't get a good fit in them when I started wearing orthotics.

My favorite trail running shoe ever was the Montrail Continental Divide (no longer made). Not as wide as the new Montrails but with the full length plate.

In any event, the key is finding the right fit. I suggest finding a running shoe shop or shoe store that will do a custom fit assessment and then recommend shoes based on your foot size and shape. If they don't carry what you want, use that info to order several different models from several different companies from Zappos or other online store. Zappos and many others have user reviews on "true to length" and "true to width" that can serve as some guidance.

I've had as many as 12 pair (5 models, 2 lengths, and in some 2 widths) arrive at once. I wear each around the house for a couple days and narrow it to a couple keepers then send the rest back. That is how I found the Continental Divides, and how I found the Asics Trabuco shoes, both of which served me well.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I've been looking at a bunch of manufacturer websites, and few of them seem to mention plastic shanks/armoring on their trail runners, I'm not sure whether there just aren't that many who offer them, or if the websites are just incomplete. Inov8 certainly touts those features. Vasque doesn't talk about it, but I'm pretty sure my velocity's have a nylon shank in them. Perhaps I'm not recognizing the terms their using.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Steven, your method sounds like a great way to find a good shoe and fit, but it's pretty tough on a company. The amount that they spent on to and fro shipping for each of the shoes you returned probably adds up to triple the profit they made on the shoes you kept. Possibly more.

It's nice when retailers offer priveleges like no questions asked returns and free return shipping, but if too many people take advantage of it, those things are likely to go away. If it's that hard to find a fit, going to a store would probably be a better option.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

When I try trail runners the 10 1/2 feels snug and comfortable in the store, but on the trail I need the 11. It has happened on several different brands, Montrail, Innov8, Merrell, New Balance. Try a half size up then you think you need and see how it feels. REI has a no questions asked return policy. I have returned shoes there after hiking in them finding them too short. Same with LL Bean.
    Keen makes a nice low cut (voygeur) that fits me well. Low cuts are lighter, but also have less "leather" places to chaff and cause blisters.

john parker
    BPL Member

@orclwzrd

Locale: Illinois

So I'm trying a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators, in walnut for those of you that are color concious. I don't think they are the lightest in the world but they seem to fit and I have a good weekend for testing them out.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

&

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

"Steven, your method sounds like a great way to find a good shoe and fit, but it's pretty tough on a company. The amount that they spent on to and fro shipping for each of the shoes you returned probably adds up to triple the profit they made on the shoes you kept. Possibly more."

Agree, and most online stores are not as accomodating as zappos. I've paid plenty of shipping as I shop. When your left foot measures 13.5 wide and right foot 14.5 medium it gets difficult to find a shoe that actually works.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools