Topic

Cattle and Water

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Cattle and Water

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"Don C? Link please?"

Oops, my bad…again. I edited the original post. It should be clear now. Everyone has a bad day once in a while. Well, in my case, maybe a litle more frequently than that. :(

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ah, OK. All clear now. :)

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

I'm all for vegetarians you guys should unite! You can live on some kind of land thing with gates, eating organic veggies and running free. I will then come and harvest you one by one for my burgers. :P

Bt seriously, that's jacked up we're losing money on this at 3 bucks a cow.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I will then come and harvest you one by one for my burgers. :P"

If we don't harvest you for our compost piles first. ;-]

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Now, Tom, that is mean! :)

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

""I will then come and harvest you one by one for my burgers. :P"

If we don't harvest you for our compost piles first. ;-]"

That's a very wasteful and expensive way to make compost. Speaking of poo (a lot lately on this site), we could at least harvest the poos of meateaters for our compost piles, plus the blood and bone from all the bits of animals they wastefully throw away.

I once raised a vegetarian cat. Dogs are even easier to raise as vegetarians, but they still gotta poo somewhere.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

This might be the moment to mention that many people — Tibetans, Nepalese, Indians, etc. — collect cow / yak dung, mold them into 'cakes', dry them under the sun and use them as fuel for cooking and heating.

Years ago, upon learning this, my first reaction was "eeewww"!! But when I traveled to Tibet last year — I was surprised that there was no stench at all; in fact, it was almost pleasant smelling! The locals explained that was because their yak ate only grass.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

""I will then come and harvest you one by one for my burgers. :P"

If we don't harvest you for our compost piles first. ;-]"

Sooooo, if you harvest humans {meat} for a compost pile, then use that compost to feed plants, then eat those plants, wouldn't that make the plants, and you, meat eaters in a round-about way?

Mmmmmm, people-burgers……

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Travis:

It's no different than an animal dying a natural death decomposing into the soil and then sucked up again as nutrients by plant roots.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Now, Tom, that is mean!"

Nah. Even vegetarians man up when they're faced with the prospect of ending up as the guest of honor at some cannibal's Weber party.

Or at least we talk a good game. ;}

Anonymous
    Inactive

"That's a very wasteful and expensive way to make compost."

Au contraire, ma cherie. It would be wasteful to just leave him lying there. Besides, our little aerobic buddies don't give a poo where their meals come from. Cheap, too. Delivered right to my doorstep.

"we could at least harvest the poos of meateaters for our compost piles"

The Asians have been doing it for millennia. Even up in the Khumbu, in Nepal, every crapper is set up to compost human poo. There's a basket of leaves in every one and you throw a few handfuls in when you're done. The crapper is built into a hillside with a trap door down at the bottom, on the side. They pull the finished compost out there and spread it on their fields. It's such a marginal environment for agriculture that they can't afford to waste a thing. Same idea everywhere in East Asia. They closed the loop long ago. Wise people.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" Tibetans, Nepalese, Indians, etc. — collect cow / yak dung, mold them into 'cakes', dry them under the sun and use them as fuel for cooking and heating."

They make great organic Frisbees, too.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Oh, I know, Ben. I was just having a bit of rhetorical fun.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools