Topic

2.5 oz. camp slippers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2.5 oz. camp slippers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I saw some homemade flip flops in this forum before, but I couldn't find the thread. Anyway, they were made from insoles and were roundly criticized for not offering enough protection.

I had a hunk of Wal-Mart pad lying around from when I cut my summer pad to 3/4 length. From that I made a pot cozy and these camp slippers. They weigh 1.25 oz. each. Around the house and in the yard they've been exceptionally comfortable. The pad is much softer (and lighter) than store bought flip flops which weigh in at 8.5 oz. I'll post again when I've tested them in camp.

2.5 oz camp slippers

tim hower
    Spectator

@jeepcachr

Locale: Great Lakes

They are flip flops? What is enough protection when wearing a flip flop?

I like em, I've been looking for a ultra light camp shoe. I'm not a fan of flip flops, I can't stand anything between the toes, but for a camp shoe I may give in.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you are trying to MYOG, and if you don't like the flip-flop piece between your toes, then make them with the alternative sandal style. This has flat straps that velcro fasten around the ankle and one goes across the top of the toes. You can find a few of them in the stores.

–B.G.–

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

The "protection" they were referring to was from stones. Insoles are pretty thin, so the stones can be felt through them, sometimes painfully.

Frankly, I'd prefer the sandal alternative too, I just didn't have any idea how to approach the task. I didn't have a lot of spare pad material, so I wanted to get something that would work the first try. I hope you post your final sandal design.

I think you'll enjoy them. For light weight AND comfort, I haven't found anything that comes close.

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Locale: San Francisco East Bay

I've been using flip-flops with to keep the grit off of my feet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools