Topic

Nylon Tulle or Organza baffles in MYOG quilts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Nylon Tulle or Organza baffles in MYOG quilts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Anybody use this? Any reason not to?

I know alot of the nylon tulle is lighter than no-see-um or even nano-see-um.. Some of the organza is also I believe..

I've heard comments that the tulle isn't that strong, but I was trying to rip it by hand in jo-ann's today and without exerting serious force, didn't have much luck.

Any reason I shouldn't just use this stuff for around ~$1 a yard and some potential wt savings?…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Would it be possible for the down to migrate through the Tulle or Organza? Haven't looked at that material in a while but it seems that the openings would be too large?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I'd think it would be very negligible on the tulle.. The organza I saw was even tighter weave, some tighter than nanoseeum.

Seems to me that if migration did occur, it'd be a) minimal, and b) bi-directional.

Those holes are small, maybe 1/8th inch.. Some quills might move around, but the actual quill free down clusters? Maybe, would it be at a volume to matter?

Just can see it being an issue, although I definitely concede that I'm just speculating.

I'd love to hear if anybody has actually tried it, and noticed any loft change.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools