Topic

Coolest Long Sleeve?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Coolest Long Sleeve?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Going to Colorado late Aug/early Sept and wonder what the coolest (temp-wise, not style:) ) Long sleeve shirt is?

We'll be in the Gore Range area, with high altuitude and I want to not have to worry much about sunscreen when possible. Problem is, I get HOT. Also, keep in mind minimizing the FUNK factor.

Thanks in advance!

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Check out the Railriders Eco-Mesh Shirt.

Matthew Reese

@mbrktn

Locale: East Tennessee

Ibex, Icebreaker, Smartwool, and others make very light wool base layers that are supposed to keep funk to a minimum. I prefer the styles with a chest zip, both for the venting and the higher neck coverage. Railriders also makes some nice look looking shirts. I haven't tried their shirts but do wear their Eco-mesh pants and like them a lot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like my Patagonia SunTech as it has the mesh on the side and is still button up the whole front.

Patagonia also used to make a Wool 2 LS

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Look at these:

1. REI Sahara shirt (& pants)of polyester

2. Colombia Titanium poly shirt

3. Cabela's Guidewear Polyester shirts (collar becomes turrn-up neck shade)

All have fully vented backs W/ poly mesh beneath.

Cabela's has the most features and sizes.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

http://www.columbia.com/Tamiami%E2%84%A2-II-LS-Shirt/FM7253,default,pd.html

Columbia Sportswear Tamiami II is positively the coolest shirt I have come across, and I've tried many. This is 100% polyester and breathes like no-see-um netting. I use this for fly fishing because it is not very durable, sort of like a knit material, but it's not knit.

My next favorite is RailRiders Madison River shirt. It's like the Eco-mesh but with a collar and a bit longer sleeves. I like the fact that I can turn up the collar to keep the sun off the back of my neck.

Truth be told though, I prefer wearing wool for hiking, year round.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Ex Officio Air Strip Lite

Expensive at $80 – sometimes they have them at Sierra Trading Post for half or less.

I wore this last year on the JMT. Every day all day for three weeks. It protected from the sun, and after I sprayed it in permethrin also from the mosquitos. It was nice to not have to cover my body in gunk every day. At the end of the trip it was incredibly dirty, so bad I thought I might have to burn it, but one run in the washer and it looks like new.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I'm glad to hear you liked the Air Strip Lite, Kristin. I've been looking at this shirt at STP (at about half price). It's time to put in in my cart.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Kimberly – The air strip lite fits pretty big and loose. Very comfortable, but the next one I order I will size down.

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

I don't get how people think the Air Strip Lite is cool. I own one, and only use it for day hikes where I'm reasonably sure I'll be done by mid-morning before the day heats up. I'd never take it backpacking; it's useless for me at anything over 65 degrees or so, or even on a steep uphill. I consider it as slightly cooler than a tee shirt with a light windshirt over the top.

Yeah, good sun protection and all if you've got the sleeves rolled down, but no way I can hike in it with them down if it's more than about 55F out. If they're rolled up it's marginally better sun coverage than a regular tee shirt.

I think I'd opt for something like a LS capilene silkweight, or I guess it's a 1 now, instead, with the sleeves pushed up if needed as the day gets hot.

Drew Smith
    BPL Member

@drewsmith

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I've hiked in the Sahara shirt for several years and found it rather hot, although fairly wind-resistant when above treeline. I just got an Ex Officio Fly Lite at STP and have been on a few dayhikes with it – it is about 4 oz lighter, definitely more breathable, and feels less plasticky than the Sahara.

I definitely prefer the Ex Officio Amphi convertible pants to the Sahara for much the same reasons. EO has done a better job of figuring out how to make polyester feel more like cotton.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Thorofare Trekking Shirt available right here on Backpacking Light. It provides UV protection, wicks well, and is barely there at 4.5 oz. Except for the deep winter months, it's my shirt of choice.

Stargazer

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Best I've found is a zip-necked 150-ish weight merino. Unzip all the way, push the sleeves up, hike away. Far more breathable than synthetics, better w/temp regulation, and infinitely better at minimizing funk.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Todd,
    What style of shirt are you looking for? – Zip T, or "button front"?

What kind of shirt do you use now?
    And does "sweaty back" enter into the equation?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Brad, have you found that a looser fit or tighter fit wool works better?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Usually I hike in a SW lightweight 1/4 zip or a midweight crew. I like the versatility of long sleeves, being able to pull them up or down. But a lot of the time even with the sleeves up, I was still too hot Now I'm trying out the smartwool arm warmers in conjunction with whatever shirt I feel would work best per that trip. (now my shirt is the SW Ram… -shackle?, -part? Ram- something. Its weave is looser and uses coarser (don't know if that's the right word) wool so it feels more like a jersey. It is short sleeve and the arm warmers work well with it.

I like the arm warmers so far because I can pull the top of the sleeve down and vent my upper arm. Yeah it makes me look kinda like Rob Halford or something, but It offers Full long sleeve, lower OR upper arm shortsleeve, or remove them for short sleeve. I estimate their weight at 2oz.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Capilene 1 in the summer, long sleeve (easy to pull sleeves up)- dries quick too

nice for sleeping as well

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have also experimenting with deFeet Wool arm warmers with an Icebreaker Chase s/s zip-top. It took me a little while to find a 1/4-zip s/s wool top though — just not that many out there. I think the chase is a 180g top, so possibly a little warm for summer use.

This can be a versatile system: push the sleeves up, lower the upper portion of the sleeve to cool the underarm area or easily stow the sleeves. Also the cuffs can be pulled down over the hand, like a fingerless glove.

Icebreaker Chase s/s top: 6.90 oz
    DeFeet Wool Arm Warmers: 2.90 oz

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Hey, Brett- Icebreaker has some pieces that are almost compression underwear, ala under armour… personally I can't stand them. But I also don't like baggy fits. In the middle is good for me, so the non-painted-on IB stuff, the Pat stuff, some Minus 33… haven't tried Ibex yet, but will early fall.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Brad, Just asking as the Patagonia Wool 2 crew is a little loose while the zip neck is bodyfit tight. Might just have to go with the crew.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Todd, how is the ULA Amp I sold ya? Anyway, not clear if you are after lS button down collar; or pullover; or pullover 1/4 or so zip. If temps by day of 45-50 to 65 I like patagonia 1, or 2s. If day cool(35-45) myself use Icebreaker 320 Merino Wool.You might like the thinner/lighter Icebreaker shirts, like the 150s.. If in doubt size up.. I really like the MH Windstopper LS windshirt, whatever called now, LS 1/4 zip T with collar. They fit tight/small,maybee size up, particularly if big shoulders, and dont have 28 inch waist..Have worn alone hiking during day 35-60 in comfort.. I use button down collar shirts some for travel, and day hiking-have couple Royal Robbins shirts I like, though never done long hiking day overnighter in them..

Anonymous
    Inactive

+1

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I should add I really like the lighter weight merinos, but I prefer them in cooler (fall/spring) to winter conditions- if I know it's going to be warm, then the Cap 1's get the nod

I guess I should add they I haven't tried the very light merino's- Pat Merino 1 or the like- 110 -ish gram stuff, the Pat M1 also has more syn than most typical merino offerings ~ 35%

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i got a set of these for my bike trip coming up next month, but i'll probably pack them along on backpacking trips since i normally only take short sleeve shirts. they make your skin feel cool and they are SPF 50 which is great since i hate sunscreen. I thought they would look weird, but it just looks like you have a long sleeve undershirt on.

http://www.rei.com/product/796217

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Keep in mind that we all differ in preferences and metabolisms. You'll probably never find me in a silkweight/Cap 1 style shirt in warm weather again; I find them far too stuffy and hot.

Brett, there's a shirt or two I've been looking at lately that I generally like the fit/feel of, but which aren't available in zip neck. I'm thinking about buying them anyway and sewing in a 12-14" lightweight zipper…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools