Topic

Crazy alcohol stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Crazy alcohol stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    tim hower
    Spectator

@jeepcachr

Locale: Great Lakes

Not mine but I thought this was worth sharing. Not that I would ever do it or advocate someone doing it.

YouTube video

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

I guess you make a stand to hang your pot from once in the woods.

Jason Picard

@jasonpicard

that doesn't look too safe. plus it sounds like a Pocket Rocket.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

I wish I could understand what that guy was saying. The thing does sound like a jet engine but it did appear to function safely. The person who made the video clearly had little concern over the safety of operating it. It looks scary to me though.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

"The person who made the video clearly had little concern over the safety of operating it."

Yeah. The 'stand' looks a bit rickety, and I wouldn't fancy having that pressurized can of hot alcohol drop out on it's side and spray a highly pressurized jet of burning liquid alcohol in my direction.

"Light blue touch paper and stand well back."

The claim of boiling a litre in 4 mins is pretty impressive though. Anybody miake lightweight asbestos suits?

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

I am kind of siding with you and the rest here Rog. I mean pressurized alcohol stoves are cool and all but this one seems to have taken that good general concept to the point of riskiness the longer I sit and think about it.

Here you go Rog Nomex

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Oh I'll be having a play with the idea. But I'll be wearing a wetted balaclava and canvas jacket, goggles and gloves when I test it. 8-)

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

See my clickable above Rog.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Thanks, but I'll stick with wet natural fibres.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Actually … it isn't much different technically from a vortex canister stove. I found it VERY interesting that the flame was so stable. Hum ….

Cheers

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Regardless of safety, this is a pretty awesome idea. Well done.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

What language was that? Portuguese?

It seems a bit impractical as is. I mean, where do you put the pot?

But the concept. Hmmm. Very interesting. Wouldn't it be nice to have a nice lightweight alcohol stove but with a bit more power, particularly when you're in "spring conditions" where there's snow on the ground?

Got something in mind, Roger?

HJ

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

The stand doesn't make a lick of sense, from a safety standpoint. It seems the real requirement of the stand is to give space between the primer flame and the stove, and block the wind. I'm sure a better stand could be made to satisfy those requirements.

In terms of safety: consider that he only put a couple ounces of fuel in a 12 ounce can. there's a lot of room in that can for vapors and so forth to compress before getting to a bursting pressure load. I wouldn't be surprised if you could run that stove completely out of fuel long before getting to some danger point.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

The impression I got was that the video wasn't intended to present a 'finished design' for practical use, but more to demonstrate the concept of a vapour-generating pre-heat stage to generate a high-power alcohol burner. I hope no-one in their right mind would actually try to use a burner like this…

All that faffing with a syringe and filling the pre-heat burner adds to the effective time to boil…

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

So, any "craftsman" types want to take a crack at making this into a practical stove? Or maybe we should just send the video link to Tinny at MBD?

HJ

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Tinny use to have a stove called the SST. It was pressurized, and had a thumb screw in it. One thumb screw was to cover the opening where the alcohol went, but that same thumbscrew was directly in the path of the flame, which would transfer the heat back down into the alcohol reserves, super heating it. The thing ROARed, but was very unstable. The stove aluminum would bubble, deform, connections would warp/melt. He eventually stopped selling it for those reasons. But the performance was about the same as I see in the stove above

Here you go Jim.

http://tinyurl.com/2emg9rm

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Got something in mind, Roger?

No, nothing right now. But it was filed away …

Cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools