Topic

Where do you get TYVEC pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Where do you get TYVEC pants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

QUESTION:
    =======

I am very interested to try using TYVEC pants.

The only ones I can find on-line require me ordering them in bulk. I don't need 50, I just need one!

Anyplace to look???

thanks,
    Mike C!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Home Depot – Throw-away Painters Pants/Coveralls
    Don't know which Tyvek it is, only that it is.

Edit:
    Or Here

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Mike,
    You can also check out usplastics.com. They've got just about any type of tyvek clothing you could want. You can buy singles. Shipping is a little high (in comparison to the price of the pants) but it's still inexpensive. I just bought 4 pair of pants and it was <$20. Cheers.

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

I just received a pair. If I remember, right around 2oz for a large. Shipping was very resonable. They also have Tyvek boots, XL fits over my 11.5 EE well. Textured vinyl soles, and coverage about half way up my calf. Again about 2oz.
    US Plastics Tyvek Pants
    Roger

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

BPL,

Please sell Tyvek pants in your online store.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Hi Mike,
    How's it going? If you need 'em quick, some traditional camping stores have DriDucks-style tyvek suits (pants & jacket), I think Coleman brand had one at the Dicks Sporting Goods near me. They might even have them at the WalMart or Target in the camping sections. I made a rain skirt (like your yellow one) from a pair of DriDucks pants.

The painter's tyvek (mentioned above) from Home Depot is the thinner tyvek – doesn't have the shiny layer on one side like the DriDucks-style. Looks pretty geeky in white too (not that that would bother you from what I remember!)…

Are you thinking of wearing tyvek pants instead of hiking pants or as a rain barrier???

Cheers, James.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Wow – Huge thanks! Quick responses (whew)

I figured for 2 oz, and a low price, these would be fun to test.

peace,
    Mike C!

Brendan West
    BPL Member

@bderw

Locale: Northeast Pennsylvania

WOW good call on U.S. Plastics!

I just ordered a pair of Tyvek trousers, a Tyvek shirt and Tyvek booties. Cost me about $15, but it will be interesting to see how I can use these in my system.

I'm thinking for the summer the trousers will be great for "it's too cold for shorts now that it's dark but all I brought were these running shorts"-o'-clock.

And the trousers AND shirt might be perfect to wear over my puffy jacket and trousers while sitting by the fire on those way-too-cold nights, so the embers don't burn holes in them.

Dunno what I can do with the booties, but I'll try 'em out!

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA
    Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I have a few sets still. PM/email me if you want some. They're cheap, I just bought a few at once so I didn't pay a ton in shipping. I think i have a few different sizes still.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

>I just ordered a pair of Tyvek trousers, a Tyvek shirt and Tyvek booties. Cost me about $15, but it will be interesting to see how I can use these in my system.

Me, too. At such a low weight and cost, these may be the answer to my parsimonious dreams.

The boot covers will be especially useful for the nasty stream crossings in the Wayne National Forest in Ohio. The place is remote, but some of the stream crossings are pretty nasty with chemical run-off from mining operations up in the hills. The Tyvec booties may just turn the trick.

Stargazer

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Dumb question: Anyone tried treating tyvec with permethrin or something like that to protect from ticks/mosquitos?

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

I can't imagine that the soaking treatment would work very well on Tyvec. The tyvec ground cloth I've been using is pretty pretty water resistant. You'd have a hard time getting the deep soak-through needed. And if you did, you'd be facing the fact that the stuff is essentially paper, which probably wouldn't survive the experience.

Still, I may cut off a piece of my ground cloth and give it a go, just for the halibut.

Stargazer

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Stargazer,
    Cool, let me know what happens! I was just imagining the attack of some aggressive biters in the summer… if tyvec'll hold permethrin, maybe it could replace hiking pants altogther… :-)

Peace, James.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Does anyone know how these are sized? Im a 9.5… which is usually a L in gaiters, but I have no clue what size to get for these boot covers. Thanks!

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

More economical than Rockies GTX?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

John, not sure if they will work that way…these are pretty baggy, and will be wrinkly when its in your shoe. Wrinkles can lead to blisters in my experience. THe rocky goretex ones are very snug fitting from what I can tell on the other hand.

My idea is to use these in the winter. Instead of having to put on my boots to take a leak, I'll just slip these over my sleeping socks or down socks.

Also I like Thomas' idea of usin em for stream crossings

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

>Does anyone know how these {the boot covers} are sized? Im a 9.5… which is usually a L in gaiters, but I have no clue what size to get for these boot covers.

Get them big. I ordered a medium and a large in the Tyvec booties just to see. I normally take a 9.5 shoe, but I had to upsize to a 10.5 to get a proper fit in my New Balance MT100's and my Inov8 Mudclaws.

The mediums fit perfectly over my 9.5 Vibram Five Fingers. The mediums fail on the minimally lugged MT100's, but the larges just barely slip over the lugs and fit perfectly when they are on.

The larges fail to slip over the large lugs of the Mudclaws. I'll have to get some extra larges for that purpose. Hey, at a couple of bucks/ pair, you can't go wrong with these — cheap and light!

The shirt and pants are fabulous at just 2 oz. each. They look just as water repellant as my Dry Ducks at a considerable reduction in weight. What they lack is a hood/ head protection. I'll slip an oven bag over my Visor Buff (and under the rim of the Buff), and I'll have the same rain protection as a full Dry Ducks suit at less than 5 oz. I can also wear the outfit (sans oven bag) when I'm in town laundering my clothes. Thus, I won't need extra clothes (except perhaps for a spare pair of sock liners), and I'm good to go for a long-distance hike.

BTW, the piece of Tyvec ground cover that I dunked in water (to see if I could Permethrin it) didn't absorb the liquid very well. Tyvec may be paper, but it's impregnated (not coated) with plastic. It makes a pretty good rain suit, and the booties look to be a pretty good way to ford a chemically tainted river or to wear around camp, but as your main hiking clothes, they leave something to be desired (too flimsy for the long haul).

I'll try to get them out this weekend for a little overnight. Here's hoping for torrential rain! ;-)

Stargazer

P.S. Handy hint: A cheap, light, and effective rain hood can be made out of a brimmed hat (which you're probably wearing anyway) and a large-sized Reynolds oven bag. I use a Visor Buff (original version) in pirate mode. Slip the edge of the bag under the rim of the visor and the rest of the bag over your head and down over your neck. It's perfect, perfectly cheap, and ultra-super-duper-light.

Go, buy a $200 rain outfit. Or spend less than 10 bucks on a Tyvec outfit and an oven bag. (Take along a bit o' the old duct tape if you choose the latter. Every silver splotch on your rain gear is a medal of honor.

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

I also just got in my tyvek yesterday.

Wowzers is a great way to describe my initial impressions. I purchased a suit (hood, boots w/ grip on bottom, elasticized cuffs, zip up, much like a onezie) two pairs of boots and two pairs of pants. Grand total of about 30 dollars including shipping.

My main interest is in the rain pants, and perhaps the boots. I have to admit the 4 dollar suit was mostly for fun and maybe car camping trips. I'm a giant white mass in the thing.

My first impressions are that these items were definitely made to be used for chemical purposes. I need to seal the seams and probably elasticize the cuffs at the bottoms of the pants.

To test them, I'm going to have my brother spray with a hose the next couple days. I'm pretty impressed with their weight, and I really hope they work. If I can't get them to work, then I'm only out 30 bucks and still have a great suit for whatever the heck.

Should I post pics and report on my testing? I don't want to go overboard, but I'd be happy to if anyone has any interest.

Again, I bought my tyvek at usplastics.com and all was very straightforward and simple.

Oh! Sizing wasn't complicated either! I'm 6'0" and about 170 pounds. Size large suit, size large pants, and size large boots for my size 11.5 feet. Everything fits pretty baggy (because it goes over other clothes) but measurements are about normal as they come IMHO.

Talbot Hardman
    BPL Member

@talbotdale-2

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Ben,

I would be interested in hearing about your report. This discussion has piqued my interest in Tyvek for rain pants. I live in western Colorado and I rarely need rain pants, but when I am travelling to higher elevations I would like to have some rain pants in my pack for insurance. I have been holding off because I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a piece of equipment that I will rarely use. Alas, my wind pants, that have been serving as my "rain pants" for the last several years, are on their last legs. I just ordered some Tyvek pants (and some dropper bottles) from US Plastics last night. At $2.00/pair I figure they are worth the experiment.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

thinking of buying tyvek pants… do post your test results! waiting on it..

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

This is awesome. The booties will be great around the camp with the boots off…and crossing streams. The pants will be great as raingear. THANKS for introducing the site!

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

I'll take pictures and test this weekend. Then post Sunday. I got a busy weekend ahead of me so I need a little time.

But Sunday will bring the news.

James Taylor

@stahl

Locale: Montana

+1 to thanks for site!
    I ordered some also, booties (for creek crossing and camp slippers) and pants (for emergency torential downpour raingear).
    And I lost 7 oz out of my pack cause now I can dump those darn crocs!

Yay!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I was testing Tyvek pants on a trip a few weeks ago. The seam at the crotch blew out within the first hour or two of wearing them. In hindsight I think the problem could have been avoided with the application of some Seam Grip.

Sam, Tyvek knickers

ps – I glued a rain skirt from a pair of DriDucks rain pants that I used for the first time last weekend. The verdict on that is still out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools