Topic

trailrunners, boots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) trailrunners, boots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I' ve been hiking in boots for years, quite happily. Last weekend on the Lost Coast I regretted my choice, to say the least. I envied those trail runners, like never before. I have a couple of questions: Are there trail runners that support the ankle or do I need to stick to boots for that? I had an ankle that kept giving out and after a lot of exercises to strengthen it, I have been fine, but still worry about it. Which inov8 ( or others )would be an all around good choice, for mostly on trail, some granite, some water, some mud, very little running . Small, narrow feet, with a good arch. I know I will hear that it depends where I hike and how much. Sierras, Big Sur, Alps, most I have done in a day is 15 miles but I plan on doing 20 this summer and fall.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Boots don't 'support' ankles anyhow – that's a myth from the boot industry. They may inhibit the ankle … at your cost. better to have decent strength in your ankles.

Think of the fun you are going to have experimenting! make sure they fit comfortably (big enough) and avoid 'arch support' and 'pronation control' as these are more likely to damage then help.

Note: if you are talking about a lot of mud, you will need a stiffer sole. But there are plenty of good choices.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

Katharina-

I have problems with my left ankle rolling and when I started the AT last year with Asolo boots, I figured it wouldn't be a problem. WRONG, I rolled it several times before deciding if I was going to roll it in boots, might as well wear the comfortable trail runners and save the weight while I was at it.

Well I wore New Balance, Salomon, Montrail and Asolo and Salomon's were the only ones I didn't roll my ankle in one time. Based on that, I'd recommend those. I rocked XT Wings, but have a pair of Pro Grid's that I've been wearing since 2006 and the things won't wear out. By wearing I mean, around town, some hiking, etc. I probably have 500+ miles on them is my guess.

I don't recommend goretex on a side note with trail runners whatsoever.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

+1 for Salomon.

Matthew Reese

@mbrktn

Locale: East Tennessee

I recently made the switch from hiking boots, (Asolo, BTW), to trail runners, (Salomon), and just did 25 miles on a quick overnight with a 30 pound pack, (Too heavy, I know, but I'm working on it!). No foot/ankle/knee pain. A side benefit is not having to take camp shoes.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

+1 Salomon, too

My recommendationa is to look for these on sale:
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

hey, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking for Salomon's on sale.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I hope you guys are right about the Salomons. Campmor had the Fastpacker 3D marked WAY down, and I just bought a pair–haven't even gotten to try them out yet. Initial fit seems good, but I want to wear them around the house a little to make sure.

Fred Eoff
    BPL Member

@fredeoff

Locale: Northwest

The Salomons mentioned above are great shoes. My son has a pair which have served him well. I will add a vote for the Vasque Blur as well. The fit my feet (wide across the forefoot) better than anything I have worn before.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Salomon trail runners fit me absolutely perfect………

But they don't fit everyone perfect.

Only buy them if you have a thorough fitting session first. This is true for any make of shoe. Shoe companies use different lasts to construct a shoe. So your perfect shoe may be a different brand.

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

You may be set on Salomon now, which is fine, but you mentioned Inov8 specifically in your post so I would say look at:

-Roclite 282: More flexible, good on mud, snow, etc. Still durable.
    -Flyroc 284: Good all-rounder
    -Terroc 308: The most 'support', less flexible. More walking oriented.

Nick Lagos

@nicklagos

Locale: South Australia

i am not sure if this fits in here but here goes…

i trialled a pair of salomon xt wings on a 95km hike with a 10kg pack over 6 days, walking in bouldery creek beds and along sharp ridge lines (totally off track) with lots of steep ups and downs

the shoes really did fit perfect and were comfy but they must have been too narrow in the toe box as i ended up with blisters on the bottom inner part of both little toes

furthermore keeping the laces tight with the style of lacing system meant that the forefoot aspect of the foot was further restricted. for the terrain and the steep rocky climbs the shoe needed to be on tight so this was unavoidable.

this shoe might not be the perfect style for me so i was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions

also i will be walking on a very muddy 100km jungle track in july and it would be good to have the right shoe for this also please feel free to comment on this too

cheers in advance

nick

nick

Jonathan DeYoung

@jdeyoung81

Locale: New England

Katharina,

To support what Mr. Caffin has said; I had used boots for several years and then transitioned to clunky trail sneakers and still had trouble rolling the ankle. Even with trail runners with custom insoles… I was still having those nagging problems.

It was not until 2 years ago that I made the switch to trail runners that offer no arch support or pronation control. Since this switch I have had no problems with rolling ankles and more importantly to me… knee pain.

I believe that the less the shoe has for support/control the more control you have over your foot and its actions/reactions.

I can only recommend INOV-8's because its all I have used.

Best of Luck to you!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Again, thanks. I look forward to this transition and will post the progress. This has got to be the best place to get information and advice.
    Kat

Matthew Reese

@mbrktn

Locale: East Tennessee

I have the XA Pro Wides, which fit my forefoot well. One thing I've noticed is that they are much more comfortable if I don't crank the laces really tight, and they are just as secure. Another transition from boots, where I had to really pull 'em tight to lock in the ankle/heel. I also use a light pair of gaiters, which helps keep junk out of the shoes and also keeps the end of the speed laces covered and secure.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I prefer boots, at least over-the-ankle shoes, so that may make them boots.

Presently I'm wearing Merrill's Moab Mid GTX boots. I like to keep debris out and don't want the hassle of wearing my ID eVent gaiters all the time. Also I want the ankle protection the padding gives me in scrambling and walking in scree fields.

I bought the Merrill Moabs because they are the lightest GTX boots in wide widths WITH GOOD DURABILITY AND SOLES THAT PROTECT FROM ROCKS – unlike Rocklite equavalents, for ex.

Yes, I do wear low hiking shoes but on day hikes on good trails only.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

I presently have the Vasque Breeze Gore-Tex boots (2 lb 14 oz) and am planning a thru-hike of the Colorado trail.

This forum has influenced me to get lighter shoes.. maybe trail runners. I'm looking at the Salomon 3D Pro Ultra whatever because that's what everyone buys and I'm a sheep.

What I don't get is why several people here seem to think the Gore-Tex versions of shoes are useless. What happens when you hike in the rain? Does the non-GTX version dry out faster?

Also, is it a good idea to transition from boots to trail runners a month before a 500 mile hike in the Rocky mountains? (I will be able to go on 2 – 3 weekend hikes along the AT in NJ before then).

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Well, first of all, if you are not wearing gaiters, the rain will run into your boots/shoes, Goretex or not. Secondly, once wet on the inside, Goretex lined shoes take longer to dry out due to dramatically reduced moisture permeability. Lastly, also because of reduced permeability, you are more likely to wet out your boots from perspiration even in dry weather. And they weigh more…

Having said all that, A WBP lined boot with gaiters is my go-to option for cold/winter trips.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

WBP = ?

Weather Barrier Protection?

Water … Proof?

Weather B… Proof?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Why not GTX
    1) Read the reveiws of the Vasque Breeze GTX. The reveiwers fall into two catagories, ones whos boots leaked and those that live in the desert. (Not kidding!) My Vasque boots leaked, one looked like a pin hole and the other wetted out several square inches, no idea why.
    2) If (no when) they get wet they will not dry. I currently have Salomon 3D Pro GTX and while I love them I will be replacing them with several pairs of the non-GTX shoes.
    3)They will be hotter due to the limited breathability.

Having said this the GTX can come in handy while snowshoeing fairly dry snow or while hiking in some dew in the morning. Not worth it IMHO but your situation may be different.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

WBP= Water Proof Breathable

Wayne Wagner

@wagnerw

Locale: NorCal

For years, I have wondered why anyone would use a "trail runner" over a regular running shoe. The regular running shoe is better cushioned, better designed, uglier, and all around better. Usually, trail runners are just crappy grey running shoes with little cushioning (they sell under the idea that you don't need cushioning because you are going to be on the trail) and tougher bottoms. In addition, you can get so many more models of running shoes, making it much more likely to get a shoe that fits your foot. In my opinion, which I formed while working at a running shoe store for years, they are just an inferior product. Maybe things have changed.

Of course, if they could keep your feet dry, THAT might be worth something. I don't trust anything that limits the breath-ability of my feet or might cause me to sweat them out. I'd rather bring running shoes which dry out really fast and just have wet feet when it is raining. I bring a pair of light sandles for camp time and maybe creek crossings, a spare pair of socks, and you're good…at for less weight than a pair of boots.

Also, after all that time in the shoe store, I have no idea what people are referring to when they ask for good "support." What do you want supported? Shoes do not support arches, for example; inserts do. The shoes almost all come with crummy inserts. Do you want pronation control? Fine, but this is not "support." Do you want a soft shoe or a cushioned shoe? Not the same thing.

I'd recommend finding a GOOD running shoe store and going there and asking them what they think you should use. Then try on all the ones they suggest. Don't buy anything that you cannot try out on concrete (everything feels nice on carpet) and don't buy anything that in any way bothers you or your feet. If it bothers you in the store, it will bother you in the world.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Shoes are so personal, I think getting advice from anyone else is nonsense. You gotta just go for it and try stuff and listen to what your body is telling you.

To think of all the time I wasted listening to "good running store" employees steer me in the wrong direction, pointing me towards "stability" shoes, "motion control" shoes, "support" shoes…I don't even know what any of that is supposed to mean…but I was certainly still getting injured while distance running regardless of having the "best" in shoe technology recommended by niche running store "experts".

Out of frustration I went the opposite direction, started running barefoot, seeking the most minimal and flat running shoes I could find (NB MT100s and Asics Piranhas) for long runs (now I'm starting to rock homemade huaraches!) and everything has been great ever since- not a single injury in a 1000 miles…not even while barefoot!

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

Thanks for that reply.. I've owned the Vasque Breeze GTX for about a year now. It was certainly completely waterproof when I bought it in the sense that I could put soak the shoe in water and the water wouldnt wet the inside.. but it would soak up a lot of water!!

i've used it with snow shoes in the winter as well.. think it stayed dry inside in a technical sense but it did again get soaking wet from the outside and would freeze overnight. Faster drying would be nice..

I have a feeling that the GTX is no longer working because my socks got quite wet on my last hike a week or two ago but it could be that water got in from my leg. Must test..

Meanwhile, since trailrunners seem cheap, I might try to buy a pair and take it on my Colorado Trail thru hike this august.

Since I know nothing about such low cut shoes, I'm looking at the most popular ones.. Salomon and New Balance.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

If high top shoes (which boots are) do not provide any additional support, why do all NBA players wear them?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools