Topic

Lunch / Dinner net-tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Lunch / Dinner net-tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dont Wantto

@longhiker

I was wondering if anyone has constructed a very light (and flimsy) bug tent (less than say 5 oz) — just a piece of the lightest possible mesh draped on trekking poles, perhaps with some string between the poles. NO FLOOR!

The purpose is for eating lunch and dinner in really bug and bear infested areas. Bears = I don't want to eat in my tent. And the mesh on my tent does (or rather, will) not really detach from the floor.

I'm sure many of you think it is a ridiculous luxury or that a headnet etc will do.. but I'd really like to enjoy my food without constant swatting.. 5 oz would certainly be worth it to me on a 6 day hike.

Would anyone know of particularly lightweight mesh that can just barely keep out blackflies and other bugs?

I don't mind making it half-mesh / half-cuben fiber or something if there are materials lighter than mesh. Again, this 'tent' can be really flimsy and small..

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Dont,

Take a look at the Susie Bug Tent. It is for just that sort of use.

It is 6' tall, 120" circumference, and 14.5 oz. That should give you a starting point. Perhaps you would be satisfied with a smaller one — you should be able to estimate what it would take to make one that is 1/3 the weight.

They do custom sewing, and are well-recommended, so if you decide what you need, but do not want to sew it yourself, they may be wiling to do so for you. Giving them a call and talking with them may help understand feasibility.

— MV

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

if you don't mind making a new one each trip and don't need to keep no-see-ums out use wedding veil mesh. Very light, even more than cuben (or less i guess)

Should be well under 5oz for a solo refuge.

-Tim

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

The Susie bug net is just the sort of thing I had in mind.. but quite a bit lighter. Have dropped Dan an email. Thanks for the link.

Wedding mesh!! Wow! That sounds like a great idea! Durability isn't really a problem.. weight and bugs are. I'm hunting online but if you already know of a place (or class of store) that might sell such fabric, let me know.. so far, I've found some fine wedding veil material for $1500 :).

On the other hand, if 'Tulle' is the same as the finest wedding veil material, it looks like even Amazon carries that for not too much.

Great tips! Very creative! Thank you!

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

One thing about the wedding veil material — its color.

If you want to see out of your bug shelter, it should be dark, preferably black. Your vision out through white netting will be much reduced.

–MV

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

tulle should be similar it comes in multiple hole sizes just make sure you get the small holes. any local fabric place should have something similar.

-Tim

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

I talked to the customer service agent at some online store (BB Crafts) and they suggested two kinds of fabrics.. Tulle and Organza.

The weights their website list are

54" Nylon Tulle : 54 Inch x 40 Yards 1.20 lbs

Premium Quality Organza Fabric: 58 Inch x 10 Yards 1.20 lbs.

I think the weights above are UPPER limits since they include the cardboard piece the fabric is rolled around.. and perhaps rounded off as well.

Would anyone have experience with this stuff? Both seem see-through from what I see on Google Images.. and the holes are small enough.

Both fabrics are available in black.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The stuff with fine holes works well. It also rips fairly easily. A trade-off. Howe well do you look after your gear, and do you mind doing repairs?

Cheers

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

The Susie bug net is just the sort of thing I had in mind.. but quite a bit lighter. Have dropped Dan an email.

Did you hear back from him? What did he have to say?

— MV

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools