Topic

Re: Dying Tyvek?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Re: Dying Tyvek?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

After agonizing over a choice for a competitively-priced windshirt, I’ve given in, and decided to get a Sportshell. I’d love to be able to make it a color of my choice, though, and maybe, possibly wear it in everyday public life. Vick, I know you posted a few months ago about using Rit Dye for this . . . any luck? If the dye holds through wear and tear, that would be great. But I’m more curious whether the addition of dye would add significant weight to the garment (or tarp, for that matter), or compromise its breathability. Any success?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ian,
    A little luck. Keep it below 180F and give it a good rinse. Use the darkest colors – The result will be a pale dye job at best, but better than stark white. I welcome any better ideas. I’ve tried acrillic (sp?) paint – It makes a mess. Magic markers tend to rubb off.

Weight? Naw, not from the dye. I couldn’t measure any difference on a good postage scale. Paint adds weight, but is so inadequate as to make using it a non starter.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

Have you experienced any noticeable loss in breathability or water resistance after dying?

Anonymous

>Have you experienced any noticeable loss in breathability or water resistance after dying?

Breathing after dying is generally not done ;)

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ian,
    Anon is a funny guy. But, no, dying does not seem to affect breathability. There is a company that makes dyed Tyvek ponchos. You might want to check them out: Goodling

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools