Topic

Glacier Park. Which Season?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Glacier Park. Which Season?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

If you could trek the trails of Glacier National Park only once in your life, which month of the year would you choose? I guess it would be only a four potential answer question for me: July, August, Sept., or late Sept.

I would not be surprised to find some hearty soul offering a January answer here, but having spent a little time on the plains of Montana during the winter, I cannot contemplate living in that kind of cold at elevation.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I haven’t been there but a coworker who takes all his annual vacation in Glacier’s backcountry (every year) leaves home (MN) on Labor Day and returns during the last week of September. His main objective is observing wildlife, especially bears.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Wow! That is quite a vacation! Must be a teacher?

I suppose you can’t go wrong with when to go. I was just hoping for a little insider knowledge if there were certain times to avoid…as a result of something that is not in the typical books on the subject.

Jumble Jowls

@jumblejowls

Jumble Jowls went to Glacier NP in late November a couple years ago, and loved it. It was chilly to cold (got down to 8 degrees one morning), good hiking weather. On one of my hikes it snowed. Very beautiful.

Also I didn’t have the bear worries that I would have had in September, when the bears are reportedly very edgy and more prone to attack. Although, some of the locals told me that many of the male bears were still out and foraging because the huckleberry crop had failed that year. Made for an interesting hike down from a mountain in the dark one evening … used my vocal cords quite often to let old grizz know I was around.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools