Topic

New Company Manufacturing Down Quilts, Down Balaclavas and Ultralight Biyvs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New Company Manufacturing Down Quilts, Down Balaclavas and Ultralight Biyvs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Aaron,

Very professional from the website design, content and products.

Please post when your quilts are available.

Any other gear you are considering?

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Mike, I did mean using a quilt in a bivy, and sorry I wasn't clearer. Of course you're right, quilts are zipperless. What I was trying to point to was that, IMHO, bag vs quilt/bivy are different situations, and, interestingly, the favored zipper position switches sides depending on which one is using. I'm right handed, and prefer a left handed bag, and, when using a quilt, a right handed bivy. A left handed person might prefer the opposite.

And best wishes to Katabatic (great name). When that freezing air comes flowing down from the peaks at 3 AM, you know you want the bottom of your quilt well-sealed to whatever it's on!!

charleswwoods

@charleswwoods

Locale: Wandering

Site and Bags Look Great! Best of Luck! If you're ever in the Durango area, hit me up.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Wow! If I ever move to a quilt, I'll definitely be looking into your stuff. With your system of attaching it to the pad, you're almost bridging the gap between bags and quilts. Well done.

Aaron Martray
    BPL Member

@amartray

Locale: Katabatic Gear

Mike, your argument for a left zip bivy is convincing, and it looks like there is more demand for them than I had anticipated. I will be adding them to our product line. I'll update the availability on our website once I know when we can fit them in. Thanks for your input.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Very nice gear. Hopefully you offer reasonable shipping options to Canadian customers (ie. USPS).

Based on the specs on your site, the 23.5oz Sawatch really stands out as offering a ton of warmth for the weight. With 15oz of down, the down comprises an excellent 64% of the total weight. It's also impressive that the quilt shell (8.5oz) is only 0.7oz heavier than the 15F rated Palisade shell (7.7oz).

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Looks very nice and professional. The Sawatch is tempting for later this year.
    What are the opened out dimensions of the Sawatch? I'm not sure from the description if the 61" girth is including part of the sleeping pad. Is it a taper from the neck, or straight sided then a taper? I never use the straps on my quilt to fasten to a pad. I prefer them to be loosely around myself. Will the cords work fine without using the pad?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have to say that they addressed what I consider the slight shortcomings of quilt based sleep systems. If I was to start all over, I'd get one of the quilts, balaclavas and bivies.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

based on the site's info, the 61" girth is with each edge of the quilt in 4" from the side of a standard width 20" pad making the pad's contribution 12". If you subtract this from the 61" you get a 49" actual width of the quilt at the widest point.

These look good, especially when viewed from a complete system perspective of the quilt, hood, and bivy. I just wonder how the attachment system might work with my new Kookabay 24" wide downmat.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The Gear Deals forum should be for gear deals and not new company announcements.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

Why not post the company announcement? A good 17 oz quilt with 9 oz of Down for only $315 sounds like a "Deal" to me.

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

Aaron, thanks for your prompt response. I think you'll find that this slight change in your zip bivy offerings will make it much easier to meet the needs of most people. I look forward to getting the bivy when the left zip is available. I'm also keeping my eye on the quilts, I really like the look of that system! Of course being that I'm 6'6", I'll have to wait until the long model is available. Hopefully as business takes off you'll be able to expand your offerings, but I think it's great you're focusing on a couple of well designed and implemented products for which there is a real need in the market place. Best of luck with the new venture!

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Sweet looking quilts! Please rush the long bags into production for us big guys.

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

Here are some specifications for the Long size Katabatic Gear quilts that Aaron provided to me. This will allow you to compare to other quilts.

Our long size fits to 6'6". For the Palisade and Sawatch in the 6'6" length: shoulder width is 55", hip width is 44".
    We have not made any bags in the 6'6" length yet, however here are our projected weights:
    Palisade total weight 17.8oz., fill weight 9.6oz.
    Sawatch total weight 24.8oz., fill weight 15.7oz.

Baffle height for the Palisade is 1.25", the Sawatch is 2.25"
    Packed size for the Palisade is about 13" X 6.5", the Sawatch is 15" X 8"

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

"Here are some specifications for the Long size Katabatic Gear quilts that Aaron provided to me. This will allow you to compare to other quilts.

"Our long size fits to 6'6". For the Palisade and Sawatch in the 6'6" length: shoulder width is 55", hip width is 44".
    We have not made any bags in the 6'6" length yet, however here are our projected weights:
    Palisade total weight 17.8oz., fill weight 9.6oz.
    Sawatch total weight 24.8oz., fill weight 15.7oz.

Baffle height for the Palisade is 1.25", the Sawatch is 2.25"
    Packed size for the Palisade is about 13" X 6.5", the Sawatch is 15" X 8""

Pricing on the long size quilts will be….?

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I just placed my order for the Sawatch quilt in regular length. Shipping should be by June 11th. I deliberated over the two quilts for some time but ultimately pulled the trigger on the heavier quilt. $40 more dollars for the extra warmth seemed a better buy.

I have a new Golite Ultra 20 that still has the tags on it that I was considering adding more down to, and even have the 3oz of 800+ fill along with a distribution breakdown in grams for adding the down by camber, I just can't figure out how to get to the middle baffles without butchering the bag.

I am leaving on the 4th of June for a weeklong trip and should have a new bag waiting for me when I return. I think that will require another trip before the mountains warm up and the quilt won't be needed until fall.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools