Topic

MLD prophet – thoughts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD prophet – thoughts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

from my readings here on BPL it seems the general consensus is that MLD stuff is excellent. however, as we all know, the search on BPL is lacking. i was hoping that some prophet owners could chime in here and give me some of their thoughts.
    a couple of concerns are
    1. compression – i like a nice tight pack, does the bungee cord do the job well?
    2. the side pockets look pretty tall, is it easy enough to reach back and get a platy, or any other bottle, out?

thanks-
    ben-

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Ben, I have a Prophet.

Its OK for compression but I usually just let my sleeping bag expand to fill the area if that tells you anything.

The side pockets are great for keeping things in and I can typically get the Platy out but getting it back in when its less than completely full is a little annoying. I've actually started using the hose and putting one platy in upside down so I can use a bite valve.

I'm seriously considering switching to the Burn because 99% of my trips don't use up most of the Prophet's volume. Want to buy a burn and swap? ;)

Don Meredith

lightpack.blogspot.com

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I love my Prophet. Haven't had any issue with compression, but then again I probably carry more than a lot of folks on this site so I don't need to compress all that much. I would think you could get bottles in and out easy enough, but I use bottle holders on the pack straps so I'm never reaching back for water.

So I'm not much help in your questions, but what I will tell you is that the pack is superbly made, it carries well/is quite comfortable (I generally have it around 15-20 pounds with food and water) and seems like it will be quite durable. FWIW.

Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

Hey y'all-

First, enough proselytizing; everybody has a prophet they want to advocate for, geeze ;-)

In all seriousness, fantastic pack. I got someone to custom add a cuben hip belt which makes it a good snug ride and helped with the 25 lb max load I carried for a wilderness trek last summer. I had to fiddle with the fit a good deal at that weight, but it worked out. I kept my paty bladder in the top, which may not have helped the fit, and used a hose, using the sides for general items.

Compression I find to be excellent, as is construction.

Jed

ben wood

@benwood

well i'm leaning towards the prophet, the other thought is maybe a conduit, but the lack of compression concerns me. anybody have any other thoughts regarding these 2? i'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the prophet but want to wait another day just to make sure.
    thanks for the replies and pms –
    ben-

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Both good packs. I had the Conduit and sold it for the Prophet. I simply don't like the side pockets on the Conduit. I don't put water bottles in mine, I put a lot of light gear I want quick access to (hats/gloves in winter, first aid kit, etc.), and I didn't like the sloping cut of the side pockets. The Prophet has full pockets, makes me feel better about the stuff I put in there staying in there.

ben wood

@benwood

doug, that's one thought i had, about losing stuff. have you lost things from your conduit? how would you rate them together, fit (subjective i know), function, compression?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Sorry Ben, never took the Conduit on a trip. Didn't realize the pockets were as slanted as they were, sold it before ever taking it out. It felt okay when I tried it on in the house though.

The Prophet is everything I was looking for in a small pack. I've had it on one trip, this weekend will be the second. Actually an amazing amount of room in the pack — I didn't come close to filling it. Hipbelt feels fine, snugs up well. I do prefer the ULA hipbelts, which you pull from the sides to the middle to snug, as opposed to (seemingly) everyone else, where you pull from the middle out to snug. But that's a minor detail to me.

ben wood

@benwood

cool thanks doug!
    i also like that feature of the ULA packs. but not a big deal. pretty low on the list of things i want.
    thanks again

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

I don't know if you want to check it out, but its been whispering to me for a couple days now.

ben wood

@benwood

I have seen that pack and there are things about it that I like, but for some unknown reason, it just hasn't caught my interest.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools