Topic

attaching polycro to .75ish oz ripstop??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear attaching polycro to .75ish oz ripstop??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

I saw some ultralight/ultracheap posts and thought about making a bivy. I have like 7 polycro ground cloths around, and 8 yards of .75 oz plain ripstop nylon

I was going to make a kite, took forever to find the stuff, but anyway…

How would one connect the polycro to the nylon in such a way that it won't just rip apart. Specific seam? glue?? what kind???

Thanks, – Gabe

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Gabe,

I have thought about trying some of that kite nylon for some projects. Can you verify it's weight in any way? If you can put on a scale, do this calculation:

total weight of material / (# of yards * width of material / 36)

That should give the weight per sq.yd.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

GG's polycryo groundsheets are polyolefin plastic, which is very difficult to glue, along with polyethylene and polypropolene. You can google "polyolefin glue" or adhesive and find some companies that manufacture glue that will work, but probably difficult to get your hands on. You could call 3M and ask them what product to order.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Heat shrink window insulation is polycryo. It usually comes with a double sided tape for sticking the insulation to the window frame. It wouldn't be super strong because it's intended to come off in the spring –probably good enough for a bivy but definitely not strong enough for a tarp or tent.
    Is your nylon silnylon?

Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

I had one but it died recently… So I have been using this ridiculous inaccurate analog bread scale. Hmmf.
    I haven't bought a new digital one yet and doubt I will before I leave in two weeks.
    The cloth I acquired is this stuff:
    http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/prod_detail_list/38
    And I got it for a whole lot less than 12$ a yard. sheesh…
    .75 oz I know some nylon is coated with resins to make them more windproof. I'll try to get that weighed.
    It is likely impregnated or coated with something for windproofing, and would likely not be dissimilar to momentum. I just happen to have a lot of it. Wondering what kind of seams, tape, glue would hold it to polycro.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools