Topic

Climate in Algonquin Provincial Park in June/July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Climate in Algonquin Provincial Park in June/July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kari Post
    BPL Member

@karipost

Locale: New Hampshire

I'm leading a 20 day backpacking/paddling trip in Maine and Algonquin and I want to make sure I'm packing the right gear. What are the typical overnight lows in Algonquin in June/July? Thanks!!!

Brian Keith Gunter

@bkgunter

Locale: Midwest

Algonquin is not quite part of Northern Ontario, but it shares the typical climate for its region. Springtime in Algonquin is likely to be cool and wet. The summer climate of Algonquin is not uniform. Daily highs could range from 16°C to over 30. In summer, it can be humid throughout June and July, yet the humidity tapers off around August.

I got this from the park's website. Didn't look as though anyone was offering any insight.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Not bad, towards mid August it gets towards 0c @night, days can be hot 30c and sunny, to low 10c cold windy and raining. Hope that helps, generally as you are in forest wind is not a problem, a wind-shirt is nice, but GoreTex, coated nylon, ect tends to be better on the water when you do experience wind. Humidity tends to be fairly high too.

Jason Picard

@jasonpicard

Expect warm to hot temps and high humidity. Evening/overnight temps will likely be warm too, but every so often it will get below 10 celsius. Also, expect occasional strong thunder storms especially towards the end of July.

Finally, in June there are still a lot of blackflies around, and mosquito season is in full swing too. Blackflies start to diminish in July, but the mosquitoes are usually around until August. Carry DEET and headnets, and pray for wind.

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Kari,

I would say temperatures probably do not drop below 10 celsius at night…but you might get the odd night below that and a lot of nights quite a bit warmer than that. I definitely agree with Jason that the bugs will be in full force…make sure you are ready for that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools