Topic

Integral Designs Siltarp 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Integral Designs Siltarp 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul Doran

@pauldoran

Locale: Guernsey

Is there anything better for the money (and as a first time tarp user) that I should be aware of before I buy this?

Thanks

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Unless you consider the ID poncho (same length and width) for its multiple uses

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

If your new to tarp camping you may want to go larger, unless you are always going to use a bivy.

I like the extra tie points on the Oware 10×8 and other tarps.
    Some companies let you pay a little extra to have them added.
    They come in handy for storm pitches sometimes.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

You can find cheaper:

Etowah Outfitters
    Alpinlite Gear
    and
    OES (MacCat tarps) all make similar/identical product for less money.

Paul Doran

@pauldoran

I will look into the other suggestions. I have no need for bigger as I will always be in a bivvy as where I am is often wet. I live in the UK so would need to be able to ship here. What about these Ray Jardine ones you sew yourself?

Paul Doran

@pauldoran

Can no one help on Ray Jardine Vs these? I can't seem to find much info on the site about tarps in general, despite their importance….

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I had one. They are excellent kit for UK use. The design has seams in all the right places to take wind stress. They are light too.

Paul Doran

@pauldoran

One thing that i dont understand is how can different makes have better or worse wind resistance if they are just a 8 x 5 piece?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

My bad, I was thinking of the silshelter, not the siltarp.

You going camping with the two dogs paul?

Paul Doran

@pauldoran

you have a great memory! No, not with the dogs, they are actually my parents…. :)

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I agree with Rog, the Silshelter yes, has side protection, but an 8×5 flat tarp intimidates most people when the weather gets sucky:-)

If you do your homework and think about all the situations you can experience, you could be fine. I like a little more coverage myself.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I have an ID SilDome for sale in the Gearswap, if your looking for a tarp for UK conditions I would highly recommend it. For Northern Ontario with its bugs (almost as bad as the tundera) it doesn't work for me, but would IMO be ideal for the UK

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Add a bug net to a sildome in Ontario and it should be a fine shelter. There are many options that weigh only a few ounces. You end up with a good spacious shelter for little weight.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

It wouldn't be a big job to stitch some bug net around the bottom edge of a sildome. The midges can get pretty bad in the UK too. Especially Scotland and the Pennine moors. I'd say, if the OP uses poles, go for the siltarp. Otherwise, the sildome is a good option. Quick and easy to pitch, full protection from wind, privacy on popular sites. The yellow colour sucks for attracting insects though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools