Topic

Trip Planning Software

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trip Planning Software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

I'm setting out to follow various pilgrimage routes from Erfurt Germany, to Rome (roughly in the steps of Martin Luther, for those who care). I've assembled various snippets of routes toward Santiago de Compostella, my own route through the Alps, and the Via Francigena from Pavia southward. These are all available as downloadable GPS tracks; I have merged the tracks (using Garmin BaseCamp) into one, long track, over 27k waypoints over 1732km!

Now I need to plan stages, and am puzzled as to how to go about it. I've been using Google Earth to work on the tracks, but you can't merge them in it. I want to be able to break up the long track into day-long segments of roughly 30km, but this is proving difficult with the software I'm able to find (Mac 10.4, unfortunately). I otherwise wouldn't bother, but this is a sponsored trip and I need to arrange for lodging each night, know what monasteries, castles, I'll be passing by, and generally let everybody know where I'm going to be.

After converting the merged GPX file from Garmin BaseCamp into KML (using GPSBabel), it's too big to work with in Google Earth, and besides, you can't measure track length in Google Earth!

I seems to me that this should be a paltry task for the right software. Can anybody help me out with it?

Thanks,

Andrew

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Andrew

> I need to arrange for lodging each night,
    This is the bit that will fail. Sooner or later. Things happen.

But do you have to do this? Wouldn't it be more fun for the audience (and the sponsors) to not know where you will be each night – until you get there and tell them?

Cheers

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

hi there,

makes me quite jealous … :)

if it's sponsored, maybe you have money left for TTQV from touratech, it's quite good and versatile

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools