Topic

Solo or No Go

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Ron:
    You make a valid point that “fear” often drives much of what we do in the wild,(why else carry a 55lb pack), and to some extent that is a good thing. Keeps one sharp. Often gives one an edge. But most of us who have decided to go solo either on or off trail have to some degree already processed that issue. Cutting the umbilical of trail companionship is part of that “fear” issue IMHO. Being alone with oneself can be pretty intimidating.

I remember when I was in my mid 20’s and did the Hurricane Island Outward Bound 30 day course. I was the oldest person in my crew, even older than the guides. Each person finds his or her own personal physical or emotional challenge during these courses, and one young crew member spent every day telling the rest of us how much she was looking forward to the 3 day sole experience. When we did go on our solos, she collapsed after 36 hours and had to leave to course an emotional wreak. She found much to her suprise that she could not handle so much alone time with her demons.

I think of her often when I talk with packers who do not solo and express shock and dismay that I do. Often these well meaning folk express their own “fears” when they tell me how unsafe it is, etc. When I wrote on this topic above that I have an unvarying routine that I employ to keep me safe, I was certainly aware that it might sound excessive or even fear driven. But, I do not live in a vacuum, I live with a most wonderous woman. To respect her feelings, I have adopted my rules. It gives her peace of mind. Certainly, I could violate those rules once on the trail, but then what kind of man would I be. And what would happen if even on a simple overnight, as Ryan suggests would certainly not get me killed, I deviated from my rules and did get into serious trouble. We all know that Murphy strikes when least expected. I do not think I would find it easy to explain to my wife that it was only an overnight and so did not qualify as a seriously threathening situation to follow the rules. “The path outside your door could sweep you up and take you anywhere — even to Mordor.” as Bilbo tells Frodo.

The one item which does not take up any room in my pack and which is truly ultralight weight and which is the key to my ultimate safety on any trip is the space between my ears and what I put there. If one is going to go solo, one owes it those we love and who support us in doing the “fearful” things we do that they may not appreciate or understand, to take wilderness 1st aid courses and any other course one can think of to hone our survival skills. Ultimately, confidence in my ability to survive and take care of myself is what my wife trusts — the space between my ears — and hence my rules.

I know that I have gone on quite a bit here, but there is so much more to this issue of Soloing: the how, the when, the conditions, the reasons, the benefits and the risks, that we should all consider more than the surface of this topic.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

…And we all (or most of us) have survived previous trips into the woods before Sat. Phones were available and have lived to tell about it.

Bottom line, the main reason I go into the woods is to get away from IT all. And I do love being “cut off” like Ryan describes. So far though, the main thing that takes that away is having other people camped in proximity to me. I am not anti-social, but that is the single biggest reminder that I am not lost in the deep, dark woods. One of the best feelings I get is wandering away from any other hiking partners (especially with potty trowel) into a direction where you are sure you are totally alone…and no one may have been in that spot for years possibly. I suppose I am a little weird.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

For me solo hiking is safer than hiking with another person. When I reflect on my accident record over the last decade I think I am safer solo.

I have tripped over other peoples guylines, but not my own.

I have tripped or burned myself because I was distracted by conversation.

I have slipped while hurrying to catch up.

I have continued on trips when I would have bailed if solo.

The conventional wisdom, IMO, assumes that your companion will have a similar level of experience, skill and fitness. It might be fatal for me to try to keep up with Roman Dial. You must be well matched with your companion.

OK, I just like being out there by myself.

Sometimes the conventional wisdom is wrong.

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

Since I started backpacking 3 years ago at the advanced age of 59, I have always gone solo (except local overnights with the grandkids). I enjoy being alone and learning on my own; don’t really know anyone around here that would be doing my mostly weekend outings anyway. Although the woods of upper Michigan and southern Indiana are hardly “wild and remote”, there are still opportunities for bad things to happen. I never eally felt any “fear factor” when starting out alone with no experience.
    As for cell phones, I haven’t owned one until a few months ago. I take it with me, first because I may need it on the road and second because it will make my wife more comfortable. Don’t want to leave it in the car anyway so I throw it in the pack even though there’s a good chance that signal may be poor to non-existent in many places.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Most of the trips I’ve taken in the past twenty years or so have been solo. Of the eight trips I’ve taken so far this year, seven were solo. The “fear” never really disappears for me, especially when I’m entending my comfort zone. But I go anyway. Last night I was alone in the Wild Basin area of RMNP. (At least there were no other cars in the parking lot.) There is something exhilarating about being totally alone in the middle of the wilderness when the storm come in, the snow is blowing sideways, and you have only your own knowledge and skills to keep you safe and comfortable.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Right on Dondo. Of course it is a personal choice, but the most intense experience, the most awareness of my surroundings, the most connection with the terrain always happen on a solo trip. And pushing myself, just a little bit, into new locales, or dicey weather is all part of it. There are many ways to enjoy a trip, friends, family, sharing a campsite – those are all great. But severing your ties, using your noggin, and spending some time alone out there is, for me, a sign of days well spent.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

did not know that when I started this thread that there would be so many interesting replies. I think that the aspect of pushing one self is probably one of the greater joys of going solo. With pushing yourself, you actually learn more about yourself and about your skills….ahhhh enlightenment!!! Very cool.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> When you go off trail, especially by yourself, danger increases.
    We don’t have ‘trails’ where I walk. That’s why I walk there.

> If you are on trail, oftentimes the SAR can ride in on all terrain vehicles of some type to get you fast.
    The SAR probably won’t know where I am. A chopper might get in, but NOTHING else. I like it like that.

> If you do go solo off trail, make sure you are expert at map reading, expert with compass
    Um – I though that was assumed? You travel in country you can handle. If you can’t handle a map and compass, stay on the tourist tracks.
    I’m sorry if this comes across a bit harsh, but life is all about balancing risks. There is no such thing as ‘risk-free’. I am a whole lot safer off-track in the bush than in the city. people get murdered in the city and on the roads.

> and carry a GPS and know how to use it.
    Sigh. Carrying a GPS is a good way to lose your navigation skills. I can pinpoint myself on a topo map to within 50 feet – and if I can’t I get a rap over the knuckles.

> Also carry some kind of reliable cell phone or maybe even a satellite phone
    Sigh. And what did walkers do before such things as GPS and sat phones existed? Answer: they went walking.
    What did walkers do before accurate topo maps existed? They used sketch maps. Been there, done that.
    Actually, a LOT of walkers I know refuse to touch a GPS: they have some pride in their map&compass ability.

> better have some communications back to higher headquarters, ie; your wife
    Don’t need it. My wife is always walking beside me, making sure I know where we are. :-)

> Boots offer additional protection and if an ankle sprain does occur, it will be easier to hobble out with boots on than with low cutoff shoes.
    Funny – I was just reading a research paper which said the opposite. The leverage heavy boots give aggravates ankle injuries – that’s statistics, not theory. Also, the lighter the footwear, down to bare feet, the stronger the foot.

Statistics here in Australia are that most deaths happen in bed, at home or in hospital. Some happen in a car, going to a walk. VERY few have happened in the bush during a walk.

But then, where would you prefer to die anyhow? Drooling in a Nursing Home for several years, or suddenly in the mountains?

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Going alone represents an increased risk but is strictly a personal decision. Come to terms with your family on any risk, then do it if you are so inclined.

Staying alive does not equate to “living”. We are all checking out, somehow, someday.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

>>”Staying alive does not equate to “living”. We are all checking out, somehow, someday.”

Good thoughts.

IMHO, generally speaking (there are often exceptions to many things), it is not so much how one dies, but how one lives that is important.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I’ve spent many solo nights in the mountains and enjoy it immensely. When I first began in my teens, I remember being more alert and worried. Once I had spent some time alone out there and nothing happened the worry faded and I now enjoy the experience. Start small–maybe with a group of 2 but camp 200 yards apart (it’s the nights that bother most people)–and work up to longer and more remote trips. It’s really a very positive experience.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

This thread is closed. Thank you, everyone, for your insightful commentary about going solo, and for those of you that were considerate to each other’s opinions, kept an open mind, and focused your posts on the topic, it’s greatly appreciated.

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools