Topic

Solo or No Go

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Eric, is that the word you wanted?

Maybe protective?

Tom Gibson

@terribletom

That is a great (and really funny) story. Isn’t it funny how the guy just assumed that your Aqua Mira water treatment was somehow ‘too risky’. Would he have said the same if you were boiling it? Using iodine tabs?

You did the right thing.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Protective is far too positive for what he did. Patronizing is close. It definitely conveys the “I know better” mentality. I’m looking for that and “I am older and therefore know better”. Wisdom does not necessarily come with age. I can personally attest to the that, and my wife will back me up :).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

So many words come to mind and few of them publicly acceptable. It is SO rude to alter someone’s else’s property against their wishes, particularly with a complete stranger. Could you imagine someone popping the hood on your car and making adjustments on the engine or draining the antifreeze because they felt you had the wrong brand? To mess with someone’s food is really asking for it– so much more personal somehow. It’s a case for heavier hiking boots :)

It is an age-old American problem– minding someone else’s business. Someone hand me a hiking pole so I can get down off this soap box!

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

Gentlemen..Yes I agree that what the man did was probably “all of the above” fatherly, protective, patronizing and rude”. BUT the man was at least my age (almost 50) and he acted his age. I had spent the entire day hiking and camping with him and his wife..we had shared food, trail stories and checked out each others gear. In his “world view” that probably made me a part of his tribe and under his care. I considered his motive and chose to go graciously. I imagine if I needed help or had any problems he would have immediatly been there for me. Now if a 30 year old guy had messed with my gear I would have been polite BUT would have not been quite so gracious. Of course most of the 30 year old dudes I run into on the trail think I am way to cool because I am a solo female. They spot the cool gear right away and are interested in everything I can share with them. My theory about all of this is what I call “world view” or maybe “frame of reference”. Guys in their 30’s have women bosses, women mechanics, women doctors, ect ect ect so their reaction is different fromm a male in his 50’s.

jeff woods

@jeffwoods55

you should have slapped the crap out of him

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Jeff…may I ask how old you are??

Richard Matthews

@food

Sunny, I don’t know the proper word to describe his actions. I can only guess at his motivation.

What I do know is that you handled the situation better than him.

jeff woods

@jeffwoods55

i’m 13

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Sunny, thanks for your response. You are obviously very good at reading social situations and I think your reaction was commendable. I asked my question because I assumed age might have played a role. It didn’t in the way I was thinking, but in a much more interesting way. Etiquette is still important when you’re away from “civilization”. I am sorry that I contributed to the side tracking of this thread. I am still very interested in the pros and cons of going solo, and a female perspective is highly valued by me.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

I have lots of pratice reading social situations. I got hooked on the outdoors early. My dad took us all camping when I was 2 and my brother was 4. We used his marine corps gear..we ate army rations from a mess kit and slept under poncho tarps (hey maybe that explains my fasination with poncho tarps :) I was lucky enought to be in the girl scouts and the explorer scouts where I learned to backpack and rockclimb. I went to one of those BIG churches that thought outdoor recreation was a great idea. I had an outdoor ministry with a couple of friends and we took groups out on overnight backpacking trips. I helped some friends of mine start a high adventure kids camp. You learn to navigate very carefully when you dealing with a variety of adults and kids. So my experience and frame of reference is very different from other female solo hikers. I wish I had the guts to really go out there and push the envelope but alas I am part chicken.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

“Jeff…may I ask how old you are??”

I guess you did work with kids! I’m 52 and the thought crossed my mind too(of slapping him) — I guess age mellows expressing such things, however much the testosterone drives it.

Like the bumper sticker says, “Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot”

“Of all the trails in the world, how did he wind up on mine?”

Hiking to Casablanca

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Dale…I have asked you before not to crack me up while I am working…

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I love to hear stories of people doubting lightweight gear. (I have heard so many.) My solution to anything like that is to say, It works for me and the guy who hiked across the continent, And I also like to mention my daily mileage (usually about twice that of the “expert” heavy weight hiker) as graciously as possible of course :-)

Hi Jeff W.
    Im glad to hear I am not the only 13 year old on the forums

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Wow imagine someone altering your experience, that would have bummed me out. Great job Sunny. You were very gracious.

As for being outdoors and having people look at my gear. I got the chance last weekend in Emmigrant Wilderness. I met an older solo gentleman coming out after a few days on the trail. We got to talking about my gear (he thought I was a day hiker) and I was proud to explain to him the benefits of going light. I sure hope he took it to heart and checked out this site. He had a large external frame pack that he said weighed in over 50lbs for a weekend trip….ouch.

Arlen Matson

@arlenmatson

Locale: Midwest

Greetings:
    I am 72yrs and climbing. Every spring and fall I like to take a solo-solitude camping trip; either backpacking or canoe camping. Calvin Rutstrum, a wilderness canoeist has a fine chapter on “Going Alone.” He said, “…to feel profoundly the enchantment of the wilderness, we must go in complete solitude…” To me, this is the ultimate experience for it tests my skills and equipment on the highest scale. It encourages resourcefulness and senstivity to detail that’s excitng.
    For me, it is as John Muir stated, that in going out he was really going in. I personally need that quiet time for pure reflective thinking. I would like to know what your basic 4 pieces of equipment are, since I am purchasing new.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

you would like to know what gear we use that we consider our 4 most important pieces?

If so then:
    1. My sleeping bag. The Ultralite by Western Mountaineering. 26 oz.
    2. My shelter. Tarp Tents Virga 26 oz.
    3. My pack, now that depends on where and how long. Shorter trips my ULA Conduit that weighs in at 22 oz. and for longer trips or the need to carry just a little more weight my Granite Gear Virga that weighs in at 32 oz.
    4. hmmmm dunno

Joshua Burt

@idroptapul

Locale: The Smokies

Don’t mean to beat a dead horse, but Sunny’s story has really given me some pause.

I remember working a trail crew on New Hampshire’s Grand Monadnock in 2003, locally billed as the world’s 2nd most climbed mountain after Fuji. Every day we’d see about 5 or 6 groups of hikers headed to the top in head-to-toe cotton and flip-flops. We also listened to the rangers talk about the weekly evacuations. As someone who considered himself more experienced/knowledgable than the dayhikers, did I have an obligation to “help” them towards what I deemed safer behavior? Not sure I could’ve switched out their t-shirts without an assault charge, but if I’d been able to, I would’ve seriously considered it. Isn’t that what Sunny’s hiker was doing?

If I see someone doing something risky but hear them acknowledge the risk, they can do what they want. But if I suspect someone’s at risk due to ignorance, I worry about my responsibility.

In keeping with my argument, my four basics are about the right clothes and staying warm.

1. Bag: Western Mountaineering Highlite
    2. Shoes: Non-gore tex trail runners
    3. Shirt: Synthetic t-shirt (silkweight capilene)
    4. Socks: Thorlo hikers (wool/synthetic)

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

My 4 basics are:

Quality Shelter: Lunar Solo Tarptent
    Quality Bag: WM Highlite or Ultralite
    Quality Rain-Wind Gear-Marmot precip
    Quality Insulating Layers:Patagonia capilene and puff vest.

This rig is not cheap BUT it has never failed me. It keeps me warm and dry in a huge variety of temperatures and weather. The best thing about my rig is that is suits Me and MY style of hiking. I have a slower pace than most hikers but can hike all day. Marmot Precip is perfect for me because of all the zippers. I hike in the southeast where there are lots of PUDS (pointless ups and downs) It can be windy and cold around one corner, raining over the next hill and sunny on the next mountain top. I can just cruise along through all of that adjusting the zippers to ventilate as needed. Many of the fast hiking guys I know put out alot more heat. They prefer a to use a poncho for hiking in the wind and the rain because they can flap it for air or tie it closer for more protection. Its the same situation with shelter-sleeping bag choice. I am a very cold sleeper. I need a tight shelter and a good bag to stay warm. My dude friends would cook in this setup. The key is to find what works BEST FOR YOU and your style of outdoor adventure. Thats why I always try to clarify where and how I hike when talking about gear.

Richard Matthews

@food

Shelter – Hennessy Hammock with poncho rainfly – also rain gear.

Sleeping – Jacks’R’Better Nest & No Sniveller – No Sniveller also insulating layer.

Cooking – Mini-Trangia

Pack – Six Moon Designs Starlite

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Shelter/rain gear: SMD Gatewood Cape

Cooking: Coleman F1/MSR Titan Kettle

Sleeping: Moonstone Delta Cirrus/Ridgerest pad

Pack: GoLite Speed

Note I use only synthetic fill for sleeping bag and garment insulation due to the wet climate I hike in.

My challenge in renewing gear after a long hiatus from backpacking was to find a balance in clothing and layering. I found it easy to get hung up on one garment that I liked but didn’t fit into the UL pallet. My current clothing selection goes like this:

Base layer: polyester long johns and long sleeve top. I normally wear a short sleeve polyester tee for my basic shirt. Polyester briefs as needed. My socks are all synthetic– wool makes me itch.

Mid-layer: microfleece zip top and synthetic fill vest or jacket

Outer layer: Windshirt and zip-off pants

Shoes: trail runners

Rain gear: silnylon cape/poncho and breathable rain pants.

Extremeties: gloves, fleece beanie, short gaiters.

Add wilderness and bake at 68F as often as possible :)

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Joshua,
    The problem with the behavior of Sunny’s “rescuer” was not that he was uneducated about chlorine dioxide vs. filtering or that he was trying to help her. His failing was that he crossed a social boundary without asking permission. If he had strongly requested permission to alter her water that would have been fine. Concerned mature helpers ask first and accept the refusal of their efforts. “Rescuers” do not posess the maturity or self confidence to ask or be turned down.

In a life and death situation when you are truly an expert it MAY be appropriate to cross boundaries. I recall giving advice to a mountaineer who laughed off my suggestion. 3 hours later I called in the Swiss rescue chopper to recover his body. We can only do so much. We can’t save everybody.

Top 4 Pieces:
    1) Camelbak
    2) Gatorade
    3) Injinji toed socks
    4) Gossamer Gear G6 Uber pack

I love to climb and hike with partners but often solo both for convienience. I don’t seek the solitude, it just seems to happen frequently and I’m happy with that.

Detailed itinerary, trip goals, style of travel, equipment/clothing carried, emergency phone numbers and day and hour to call in the cavalry in case of no show; all left with reliable contact person is No.1` safety precaution on all trips. Personal medical info in ziplock with safety pins to pin on my outer clothing is No.2. After that, Sat phone & GPS are powerful tools. Call in exact location each day. If travelling X-country, give landmarks or GPS coordinates. Even if contact person doesn’t know what they mean it will tell authorities your route. They are good at extrapolating where you met mishap with this info and it can easily save days in your rescue time.

Do thorough prep ahead of time and then you can enjoy your trip.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Good Point Al…my situation was not life or death. I had spent enough time with this couple for them to understand that I was an experienced backpacker. I had even mentioned that I was test driving Aqua Mirra on this trip because I was hiking out that morning and would be at home before any ill effects could catch up with me. In this case the gentleman is allowed to his opinion but crossed the line when he messed with my gear.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

I’d like to see that guy try a stunt like that on Ron Moak.

Brian

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

after hiking only with groups on 6 trips in the past 8 months i noticed something very unsettling on my most recent trip – a solo trip.

i have no idea why, but i really had a hard time not being hyper-alert while in camp and at bedtime. i never had this problem in the past – once my head hit the pillow i was usually out after a review of the day’s hike and a mental run thru the next day’s plan. and i do mean out.

on this trip i could not get to sleep, every noise in the night got my attention. when i was cooking dinner, i felt exposed and vulernable – it was very unsettling.

while hiking i felt fine – i knew the trails and was making good time. once i came to my camping site i started to feel uneasy and decided to push on to a location i was certain would have people. i really was concerned and only felt at easy once i knew there was someone else around.

has anyone else experienced this type of situation?

-Steve

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools