Topic

9lb base weight– suggestions welcome

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 9lb base weight– suggestions welcome

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

When: 3 Seasons
    Length: Min. of 3days

I currently have a baseweight of 9lbs and I am looking for suggestions on what you would get rid of from my gear list or what you would change.

There is a note section to my list.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtPFXdtIdI3pdHdQRTlsdHdkUk1qNFJuRlRJLXNramc&hl=en

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Access to your spreadsheet appears to be restricted.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

Not too many things that could be left at home outright, good job!

Working from the top:
    -Do you need the size of a G4? Carrying a down bag and a tarp, you should be able to downsize your pack to a ~10 oz one. -6oz
    -There are lighter pack liners out there (BPL, MLD) -1.6oz
    -Can you use your sleeping bag stuff sack to hang food? -1.7oz
    -IMO, bringing a bivy should be a trip-by-trip decision based on whether you expect lots of bugs and long duration rains, IME, the CO Rockies have neither. -5.8oz
    -Obviously, you could shave a couple ounces off by switching stakes. I think that's more a personal preference thing. -1.5oz
    -You could trim ounces from your ridgerest. Again, preference. -3oz?
    -You probably just need a MiniDrop of Doc Bron's -1.5oz
    -Your rain coat is HEAVY (-5oz) and do you really need rain pants? I'm bringing some, but as my only pants (hike in running shorts). You could probably do without or with windpants instead. -4oz
    -You could find a wind shirt that's half the weight. -2.5oz

If you did everything, you could save a solid 2 pounds. Good luck!

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

John,

– No I do not need the volume of the G4, but it is what I have. Any suggestions as to pack recomendations?

– Pack liners. Never thought of an MLD Liner, but for $5, consider it done.

– I don't use a stuff sack for my sleeping bag– it just goes straight into my pack. Hence the separate food sack.

– The CO Rockies is dependant on where you go. Just last July I was at the Eddiesville Trailhead and was bit five times on the same leg while unloading my pack from the car. As for long duration of rain– it is the Rockies! I have spent 13 days here with none-stop rain!
    At lowerer elevation my biviy is gone.

– Stakes are beefy, I will switch.

– Not trimming the Ridgerest to the shape of my bivy.

– Dr. Bonners is picky– I could switch to a lower amount– not a big deal.

– Rain coat is heavy I will admit. I did have a Marmot Precip up until this year– but with an Eddie Bauer Christmas gift card, their Friend's reward and the outwear sale I got the jacket for $30– only Dri-ducks compare in price and I know what I would rather have!

– Rainpants can be dropped– I don't care, short or MH Mesa dry quickly. Consider them nixed.

– The Marmot Ion is only heavy because it is an XL. A medium Golite Wisp is 3oz. There isn't much that I can save.

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

As for packs, I've been looking at the GG Miniposa (OOS), the MLD Burn (smallish), and the zpacks blast26 (OOS but way light!). I think I'm going to MYOG though, modifying either the GG G4 Scout or the 5yardstoSUL (BPL Article) pattern.

I guess I have just had good luck hiking in the Rockies. Never had any problems with bugs or rain myself, but I've only been on a couple trips.

You could probably carry less Deet and sunscreen too.

I understand cost being a factor for rainwear. FWIW, I just got a new Marmot Mica for $90 shipped off ebay, and I believe there's an XL Essence on right now.

Sounds like you should be able to cut about a pound, at least. Got any trips planned yet?

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

A regular pack sized trash bag weights .5 oz save 2oz.
    use lip balm with SPF 20-30 save 1.7 oz (just back of hands and face)(if pants worn:0)
    7" Ti stakes hold almost as well as Easton 1.5 for 4 save 1.5 oz.
    Heavy rain jacket get 7oz and save 6oz.
    TOTAL about 11.2 oz
    Good list!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Nice list!

You say you need the knife for cleaning fish, but I don't see any fishing gear?

In the Colorado rockies, you won't need 4 liters of water. Just carry ix 2L bottle. You'll be fine. I've done 30 days with just a 1.8L platy.

Sunscreen, Dr. B's and DEET come in at 2oz each, and that is a lot for 3 days, you could repackage them into something smaller. 1 oz (or less) for each is plenty.

The trash COMPACTOR bag is a bombproof tool. Yes – You could save almost 2 oz by switching to a thiner bag, but the chance of poking a hole (an loosing the waterproofing) is high. If you are careful, it should be fine.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Thanks guys for the input.

John– I will definately look into a smaller pack. As for trips, the only two planned so far will be down on the Cochetopa Hills in the La Gartia wilderness area. For the second I will be taking my brother-in-law and his wife on their first backpacking trip and with deciding to keep it close we're just heading to Lost Creek wilderness area.

James– Good tip on the lip balm. I will see how that one goes.

Mike– I just didn't list my fishing gear. I have a seperate spreadsheet. Fishing gear (Rod, Reel, Flybox, Lanyard, License and MYOG rod case) totals 17.9oz.

The only thing that I would change is leaving the lanyard at home; instead, stuffing the items into my pockets when I fish, but for me, the convience of the lanyard trumps the 2oz of weight I would save.

You are right; I will just leave the 2nd Platy at home, the only time I use it is when my wife and dog come along. The rest of the time it stays folded up in the pack.

I could just use a smaller of amount of Sunscreen, Deet and Dr. B's– I never use it all on shorter trips, but on longer trips I do come close and when my wife comes, I just fill up the entire 1oz bottle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools