Topic

what bonds with dyneema?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear what bonds with dyneema?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

quick question…my older dyneema pack is starting to delaminate on the inner side. Looks kind of like the way a sunburned face peels. I'm assuming I can just paint a thin diluted layer of either silicon or seamgrip over the areas and all should be well. Which one is it though? seamgrip or silicone? Also, I know silicone is diluted with mineral spirits, but what do you cut seamgrip with? Thanks!!

Nicholas Miller
    BPL Member

@nmiller08

Locale: Montana

I'm not sure on the sil v. seamgrip, but to thin seam grip I think you can use toluene. I've never tried it myself, but it was listed in an old BPL post as information provided by McNett.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Is it pure dyneema? Or is it nylon with some threads of
    dyneema?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

David, I think its nylon with dyneema threads (think of the stuff we see from MLD, Golite) It doesn't have the diagonal threads seen in dyneema X, so I would just consider it the normal dyneema interweaved fabric

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

It is most likely a urethane based coating then, so
    use a urethane based product for best adhesion.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The one problem I have run into is when the fabric has a good DWR coating. The PU adhesive sometimes does not stick as well to the fluorocarbon finish.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools