Topic

Massanutten Trail Circuit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Massanutten Trail Circuit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

hello,
    I was wondering if there is anyone on here that has done this 71 mile circuit? Any details on the trail would be great. Thanks

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

Hi,
    I attempted this loop last October. The second day I discovered I had bought a bug net shelter instead of a tarp and thus my trip was cut short a bit as it rained the second night. It is mostly a ridge hike so water can be scarce. However I imagine that at this time of the year water should be readily available. Here is a link to a description of the trail (mostly accurate)
    http://www.patc.us/hiking/destinations/massanuttenring.html

Some pics and a short description of my trip can be found here:
    http://picassaweb.google.com/mnferwerda

HTH – Mark

Graeme Finley

@gfinley001

Locale: SF Bay Area

I did the loop in November 2006. It was the first time I ever did a 20 mile day or hiked in trail runners vs boots (I was just making the transition to UL). I did the trail clockwise from the parking lot at the northern outlet for Fort Valley, and took around 3 days (3pm on Thursday to 4 pm on Sunday).

Water was hard to find up on the ridges, especially on the western ridge (I had to go down the road that crosses the middle of the ridge, fill up from a stream, and dry camp on the ridge-top on the third night).

My overriding memory from the trip is the agony in my feet from the horrible rocky trail coming down from the overlook in the last 3-4 miles. Still, it was a great experience – my first real fast-and-light trip, and I remember running into some mountain bikers who saw my GG Whisper pack and said I reminded them of Survivorman.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

great feedback, thanks guys!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools