Topic

Another quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Greg Wheelwright
    Spectator

@gdw

I'm another longtime lurker who has learned a great deal from the members of this forum and finally put some of that knowledge to use. It's actually a darker green I made this quilt from 1.1oz nylon and just under 12oz of 900 fill down. Its 78" long, 54" wide tapering down to a 38" footbox. The baffles are spaced 5" apart and are 1 3/4" inches tall. The filled chambers have about 2.7" of loft and it weighs 21.55oz. I added a small hood.
    I will be using the quilt with a homemade SMD Meteor bivy and hope it will be comfortable down to 30 degrees or lower when combined with a light down jacket… the next project.

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Nice work. Look forward to your field report.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Looks great! What's the reason for the "extension" at the top-center? I'm sitting on 10oz of down and am starting to research a quilt project of my own. Thanks

Greg Wheelwright
    Spectator

@gdw

Thanks. The extension is basically a shallow sleeping bag style hood without any draw string. The addition makes it easier to shape the quilt around your head and shoulders. It works well for side sleepers and eliminates the need to carry a seperate down hood/balaclava.

Jason L

@jason_loose_arrow

Locale: Yosemite

That looks great!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Greg, Nice looking quilt. Great craftsmanship and I like the colors too. Yeah I was wondering about the top extension, but I can see this for a side sleeper. That's a nice piece of innovation. Its making me wonder how to execute this for a back sleeper. Could the extension be reversed? meaning the edges are extended not the middle. A couple of snaps could bring the quilt togther behind the users head. A draw cord could make a "hood".

Not sure this makes sense, regardless nice job on your quilt and your approach has got me thinking.

Thanks for sharing,
    Jamie

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nicely done!!!!

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

That is one sweet quilt! I really like the "hood" idea, and may just incorporate that into my next one. Let us know how it works out after you've used it a bit.

Again, really nice quilt.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools