Topic

Quilt Seams

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Quilt Seams

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ben W.
    BPL Member

@benjita

Locale: Arlington, VA

Hi Group,
    What kind of seams are you using for your down quilts? Do you use the same seam on the side that you close after you stuff versus the other sides?

I have some sewing experience and would like to make strong/ professional looking seams.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i top stitch my down quilts closed. I fold the fabric before putting in the baffles so i have a finished edge on both sides of the shell and liner and then i top stitch one side closed, fill with down then top stitch the other side. The other option is to have a folded hem sticking out past the insulated part which i don't like as much. That's what JRB does and it works great but i prefer the look of top stitched edges.

-Tim

Ben W.
    BPL Member

@benjita

Thanks Tim. I agree I dont like the look of the folded hem.

I'm a little unclear on how to close up the quilt. My understanding of a top stitch is that you do a straight stitch with the wrong sides together. Flip inside out with right sides out and sew throgh the fabric- catching the seam allowance. But how do you do this when the quilt is right-sided and stuffed?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Before i sew in the baffles i already fold over the edge so it is finished (wrong side has edge folded onto it then baffles sewed on. THen the edges already have the raw edge folded into the quilt and you just to stitch the shell and liner together along the sides.

With a down quilt you can't do much sewing then turning inside out like with a climashield quilt as the baffles keep it from being able to flip inside out.

-Tim

Ben W.
    BPL Member

@benjita

I am done smacking my head- duh. I didn't think through the fact that the quilt would have to be turned out in order to sew the baffles. Makes much more sense now. Thanks for clarifying that for me Tim!

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Tim, how close to the hemmed edges are you stitching the baffles? Do you see bits of baffle netting in between the sandwiched top-stitched seams?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Guys, a lot of this detail about seams is covered in our article on MYOG Down Quilt.

Cheers

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Doh, and I just paid for the membership. Thanks for the reminder Roger! :-)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i fold over 1/2" of the edge and sew the baffle right up to the new clean edge, maybe 1/8" off. I just tuck it under when i top stitch.

-Tim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools