Topic

Will bugs bite through a Montane Lite Speed Wind Shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Will bugs bite through a Montane Lite Speed Wind Shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Will this wind shirt material (PERTEX® Microlight), worn over bare skin, prevent mosquitoes, flies, white sox, and no-see-ums from biting my torso?

Last year I treated it with Permethrin and I didn’t get any torso bites. Unfortunately Permethrin cut the water resistance in about half. This year I would like to retreat it with DWR only but, not if the bugs will bite through it.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

If the windshirt is sufficiently tight (say, when bending an arm or such) mosquitos can bite through. A w.s. will provide some protection. For real bug pro I use permethrin prepped baselayers and sox and apply DEET if I have to, to exposed skin.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Using Microlight fabric, I’ve only had bites go through as Davidson mentioned–stretched over the tip of a bent elbow, over the shoulders/traps area while snoozing, or similar. I find the fit of my Featherlite is generally loose enough to prevent those bites with a little mindfulness.
    -Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools