Topic

“Shirt Stays” to keep a quilt closed?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear “Shirt Stays” to keep a quilt closed?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brittany W

@quasarr

Locale: Southeast

Since I joined the Navy I have discovered the joys of shirt stays, an adjustable elastic band used to keep you shirt tucked in by clipping to your shirt and socks. I haven't weighed mine but they can't be more than 1 or 2oz.

I'm thinking of clipping them to either side of a quilt to keep it snug at night. Maybe the band could go under a sleeping pad. Has anyone tried this? Unfortunately I lent my quilt to a friend so I can't test it for everyone!

Here's a picture of shirt stays for those who haven't seen them.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/719kTBnnwLL._SL500_.gif

I apologize if this idea has been posted before, I couldn't find it on search.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

"Shirt stays" sound like a much better idea than "shi*t stays" :)

(I did not know we had a profanity detector, but apparently we do and it searches the body of our message only hence the added *)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I can't tell from the picture what the mechanism is that grips and attaches. If it's like suspenders with a little claw that grips when clamped closed, you could poke holes in your quilt with it.

Otherwise, it's quite similar to how my Golite quilt works. However, my quilt uses little plastic tabs that are sewn in with the seams, not clamped to the outside.

Jason L

@jason_loose_arrow

Locale: Yosemite

This makes me think about how straps and bands feel under someone when they are sleeping. I just finished a quilt yesterday (photos to come) and have been thinking about this. Problem, or no?

Brittany W

@quasarr

here's a closeup of the fastener, it's hard to explain but the fabric goes between the rubber circle and the metal piece, then you slide the rubber circle forward to cinch the fabric. The picture shows the rubber circle in the "closed" position.

thus the advantage over suspenders is that you don't actually pierce the fabric, although with thin UL fabric it may tear if you put too much stress on it.

http://dsasd.org/store/images/shirt%20holders.jpg

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Since you put the straps around the pad, you don't feel them at all. I have slept with the straps around me instead of the pad, when it was warmer, and I still didn't feel them. They're very thin. The whole thing, at least on the Golite quilt, is kind of fragile.

I can picture the shirt stay clasp. It sounds just like a garter belt. I would worry about the shirt stay things wearing a hole in the fabric of the quilt. But maybe you could sew on some small fabric tabs to put through the shirt stays. I'm pretty sure that would work perfectly.

Jason L

@jason_loose_arrow

Locale: Yosemite

OIC, thanks.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Hey guys – I changed the forum thread to be more, ah, G-rated. And accurate. :)

Brittany W

@quasarr

Thank you! That was an embarrassing typo for sure. :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools