Topic

Waterproofing bic mini lighter (video)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Waterproofing bic mini lighter (video)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

YouTube video

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Robust and so simple. Thanks Timo!

Cheers,

Rick

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Great video Timo, and I love the music, Finnish band?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Seems like a good idea for a backup lighter.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

"Great video Timo, and I love the music, Finnish band?"
    I dont know.. Music was in youtube.

Normally i have 2 lighters. I tape other so it's waterproof and clean if i need it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

nm.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

The type of accident that would get my lighter wet, is the type of accident that would leave me soaking, and potentially in need of a fire fast.

I would not want to trust my ability to dry out a lighter quickly under those circumstances. I know from experience with lighters that I do not have the skills to revive a wet lighter in any reasonable amount of time.

For almost no weight, this tape trick is pretty sweet.

Mike McHenry

@mtmche2

I like to carry a steel and flint backup as it is 100% fool proof. If you can dodge a wrench you can strike a flint.

I was under the impression that if a Bic got wet it would still work. Seems like more hassle than what its really worth.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I have deleted my post above.

It's good to experiment firsthand. The first time, I dunked my BIC lighter into a full cup of water for one full minute — without any tape. After a few quick wipes, it worked as if nothing had happened.

But after dunking for a full 30 minutes, the lighter no longer works. While I expect it will work again after the inside is all dried out — that's not acceptable in the field.

The tape method is simple enough to use. Thanks, Timo.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

I make a test. I put my lighter in water and test it. Not working. I shake it and dry it, not working. 30 min in my pants pocket, hahaa it's working!!!

I have use same backup lighter every trips. Tape also secure button, so it's always full and dry.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

" If you can dodge a wrench you can strike a flint."

Who is throwing wrenches at you? You should probably deal with that first before worrying about fire sources.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Really small balloons seem much easier than this tape method- just find the smallest one you can and roll it over the top and 3/4 down the Bic. And you can reuse it rather than look for more tape.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Good suggestion Craig. Lighter condom. Like the reusable aspect.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Wow Craig, thats actually really brilliant…one of those "why the hell did i not think of that!?" moments. From now on, my lighter will always be wearing protection.

Mike McHenry

@mtmche2

" If you can dodge a wrench you can strike a flint."

Who is throwing wrenches at you? You should probably deal with that first before worrying about fire sources.

haha, have you seen "Dodgeball"? Ironically the guy ends up getting nailed with a wrench, so maybe he wouldn't be too great at getting fire started.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

Craig lighter rain coat is a smashing good idea. Ditto on what Konrad said about it. The tape thing isn't too shabby either, but I like the idea of being able to secure a lighter use it and then secure it again via condom method. Lighter rain jacket therefore wins.

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

You can buy finger cots in the first aid section of any pharmacy that would probably work. (small balloon like, used to waterproof finger cuts).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools