Topic

Everest anyone ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Everest anyone ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Some have suggested a "Park and Ride" scheme at the park boundary for the Lake District in England. I think it should be "Park and Walk".

Mike McHenry

@mtmche2

Rog,

Well put.

Nick,

I see your point, but I also view that expansion and development, unfortunate as it is, as something that will not be permanently reversed. Public land or anything for that matter, so long as it does not have individual ownership, will always suffer from the "common pool" problem of economics. You and I and everyone on BPL would approach a national park, for example as something that personally belongs to us. Thus, according to this same economic theory, we take better care of it.

My point being that ownership is a mentality. We need to put an end to the mentality that people are "just visiting a park" and "need to take care of it for others to follow" and instead get visitors in the mindset that they share ownership in the park and need to protect it. Let's face it, people in general don't care about the next person behind them. However, if that gas canister was being chucked on their bedroom floor, I bet they'd have something to say about. In a way, you and I and everyone else that forks tax dollars over every year owns, albeit small, a part of every national park in America. Just my .02.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I see where your coming from now nick, at first i didn't understand why it would be a bad thing, but i guess i am just more optimistic of people. i had never considered the trashing the park aspect of it.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools