Topic

I don’t understand DriDucks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I don’t understand DriDucks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Henry Laufenberg
    Spectator

@hankj

Locale: PNW

I see them on people and read about how great they are, but don't get it. Are they waterproof? Breathable? As good/dry as a Patagonia Rainshadow or not as good/dry but lighter and acceptably good/dry?

thanks!

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Lightweight, 12 oz. for top and bottom, as breathable as most things out there, all for about $19.00. Not bad!

You need to be careful with them, they love to bust at the seam on the butt and they tear if sitting on granite, but they do the trick. I hike mainly in the Sierras so they are more than adequate for the type of storms that typically roll through.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Imagine a woven screen, with threads running perpendicular to each other. When these magic threads get wet they swell to the point that they close up all the gaps in between.

You can see this swelling when you put a few drops of water in just one spot.

DryDucks

So when dry it is very breathable, and wet, it is for all intents and purposes, very water resistant.

In the "transition phase" it's moving across the spectrum. In a hiking or cycling situation where you are usually "cooking off" water vapor the transition is less of an issue than one might imagine. By the time the sun is out, and you're ready to take it off, you are dry.

Not a perfect piece of science like eVent, but better than most PU and 2nd generation Gortex – IMHO, and relatively inexpensive.

With DriDucks the ploymer layer is on a spunbonded fiber scrim that is not terribly durable. In many cycling jackets it is on a much more durable substrate.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Driducks are the lightest, darn inexpensive and also very breathable — as Greg stated above. What's not to like?

1. dorky looking, hood has no brim at all.
    2. not good with abrasion — not an issue at all with normal wear but definitely not for bushwhacking. My Driducks jacket can last a long time, but not the pants.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I purchased a set just to see them. Having guessed" the size they were too big for me so gave them to a friend. He also purchased a set shortly after. Destroyed both the first or second time out.
    Most of our trails are not wide enough to avoid branches and often have to climb over logs, they are not suitable for this.
    I did try them out under pretty heavy rain, around my place, and yes they are very breathable and waterproof enough at least for a few hours. I don't know about all day.
    Franco

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They don't last. I had a set last 2 hours. They are not recyclable. The sizing is funky. I don't get it either. Oh yeah, no pocket in the jackets either.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"They don't last. I had a set last 2 hours. They are not recyclable. The sizing is funky. I don't get it either."

I've had mine for a few years now (jacket, not the pants). Sizing is indeed funky — it's about two sizes bigger than convention.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I've used mine a LOT and they are fine (except the pants).

I am careful when I hike in them. If they tear, simple MASKING TAPE works PERFECTLY! Easy to repair!

They are the MOST breathable, perfectly waterproof, cheap, dorky, and there is nothing lighter!

I turned the pants into a skirt using scissors and contact cement, and this is a MUCH better!

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Anything similar to Driducks worth trying? Being on the short end of the spectrum (5'5", 150 lbs) I can't really order two sizes down to get a good fit.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jeffrey:

Methinks a size M Integral Design eVent rain jacket will fit you well — they are cut quite a bit shorter than most. Yeah, it's also quite a bit more expensive but you do get a superior jacket in every way! And it should last a lot longer too. And no dork factor…

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Has anyone seen these in stores so I can go have a look in person?

I can't even find the manufacturer's website, just tons of online retailers.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/
    turn your sound on
    Franco

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I sent you a PM

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

…I have a montbell peak jacket which I like. Not quite as nice as eVent, but nice. It comes in at like 10 oz. though. I was looking for a light pant/jacket combo that I could get down to 10 oz. for both, but I may just use my jacket and call it good.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jeffrey:

If I were you, I would just use the jacket and call it good. With a 10oz. weight ceiling, that means you're looking at a max. weight allowance of only 4-5oz. for your pants. Anything that light will be pretty darn fragile! My experience with the relatively fragile Driducks is that I can keep the jacket in good shape for years by being careful — but the pants last maybe one hike. Even if you make sure never to sit down, the bottom part of the pant legs will wear out quickly just from rocks and stuff kicked up by your footsteps.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

These are certainly not commercial products, but I sewed my own hooded rain jacket (4 ounces) and my own rain chaps (2.5 ounces).

–B.G.–

Karl Gottshalk
    BPL Member

@kgottshalk

Locale: Colorado, USA

If they are too long, just take some scissors and cut them shorter, we are talking about a <$10 pair of pants. I've had a pair of DriDucks for two years (going on third). I don't use them very often, but they still work fine. I brush branches all of the time with no rips.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Just wondering how driducks hold up to long term usage underneath a pack? I'm guessing those areas wear out faster?

Also, which particular driducks models do people use? Looking at the froggtoggs website there are a few options…:
    http://www.froggtoggs.com/?outerwear/backpacking/DD1330
    http://www.froggtoggs.com/?outerwear/backpacking/DD1232
    http://www.froggtoggs.com/?outerwear/backpacking/DS1204

Cheers,

Adam

Anonymous
    Inactive

Walking out on a fairly well and wide maintained trail in May put an untimely (first time worn) end to my DD pants. The Tyvek pants I have used are more durable that Dri-Ducks. Slightest snag on what seemed to be the most flexible branch went completely through.

The jacket worn on the same hike made from Rainshield endured the the trail with no apparent damage. Rainshield is more expensive running approximately $50.00(corrected) for a complete suit vs. $15.00 for a suit of DD.

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

I use the trail pac from your links. Jacket is working well but it is definitely not for bushwhacking.

I am 6 ft 165 and the small fits me perfectly including the pants.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

As I've said ad infinitum here, if you can't afford an eVent parka like REI & others sell for well over $200. then look at Cabela's Rainy River PacLite GTX parkas. $99. and they come in tall sizes too, which I prefer for longer sleeves & beter butt coverage.

Michael Rollins
    BPL Member

@wind_walker

Locale: Midwest

@Eric: Cabela's has the PacLite GTX Tall Size on sale for $79.88. But I can't find the weight of the jacket. Do you happen to know what it weighs?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My PacLite Large, Tall weighs 15 oz. Notta too bad for a parka with so many neat features.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

"With DriDucks the ploymer layer is on a spunbonded fiber scrim that is not terribly durable. In many cycling jackets it is on a much more durable substrate."

The fabric looks to be point bonded not spun bonded like
    Tyvek.

To prevent the crotch from blowing out, you need to make sure
    they are pulled up all the way when worn. Suspenders
    work well.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools