Topic

6-7 days, Colorado Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 6-7 days, Colorado Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

I've got 6-7 days in mid-July to do some backpacking w/ a few buddies. We're driving from Denver. I've been looking at the southwestern part of the state, Weimenuche and South San Juan Wildernesses.

As a group, we're relatively low-mileage people, average about 7 miles/day. Looking for solitude and wilderness (aren't we all?), scenery, avoiding horsepacker trails. Reasonable off trail adventure is fun, as are loops.

Any ideas to help me narrow the field a bit?

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

I really like the South San Juans for backpacking, lots of wide open terrain at altitude and lots of wildlife, there are a couple loops I can think of here but may not be 6 day trips, more like 3-4 day trips although they can probably be extended by linking up with the CDT and still remain loops. The South Fork/Roaring Gulch loop around Conejos Peak can be extended by using linking trails up to the CDT and then around and back as one example.

In the Weminuche you can't go wrong with the Elk Park/Needleton loop and several nice lollipop loops can be made using the CDT trail on either side of the divide. A lollipop loop made with the Vallecito trail up to Rock lake to Flint Lake then over to the CDT at the Ute Lakes up to Mount Nebo and then back to the Vallecito trail is a route I've had my eye on in some variation or another.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Aaron, thx for the tips. Any thoughts on South San Juan vs. Weimanuche? Am I overlooking another good wilderness?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Aaron while you're thinking about it mind if I through in a question of my own. I'll be traveling through CO in early June and want to meet my brother for a nice long trip. Do you think the CDT through the Weminuche area would be openned up by than?

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

The S San Juan Wilderness is a great place. I did 5 days there last year, starting at the Conejos trailhead, then hiking up the Rito Azul trail and initially staying at Blue Lake, where we stayed two nights initially to acclimate, do some fishing, local exploring and peak bagging, then hiking across the Continental Divide a few more days to Adams Fork and back down to complete the loop. The two trailheads are maybe a mile apart. We were pulling some unbelievable cutthroat out of the Adams Fork.

The Weminuche is a really nice place too, but will have more crowds. The Chicago Basin area particularly. But the train ride and Elk Park/Needleton loop hike there is a fun experience if you've never done it.

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Generally speaking high passes and routes in Colorado are not snow free by early June, sometimes even early July to some extent. The CDT is a high route through the area. I am sure you could come up with something in the area though or plan routes that stay far enough below the passes and divide. It's too early to say how June will be though.

I don't know exactly where in Colorado you are passing through but the Lost Creek wilderness would have about a 25-30 mile mostly snow free loop by then.

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Your 6-7 day criteria is what makes s.w. Colorado a top choice, it has an abundance of longer trips, especially if you want to make it a loop or semi-loop.

You could also do a stretch of the CDT closer to Denver like in the Collegiate Peaks but it would require a shuttle vehicle. I have mapped out a 45 miles or so semi-loop in the Collegiates by piecing together several trails but I have not done more than one section of it myself.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Many thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools