Topic

Water as Base Weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Water as Base Weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

Shouldn't water be counted as base weight?

It is usually more important than shelter and food in a survival situation…

What are your thoughts?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Base weight doesn't really have anything to do with the importance of things in a survival situation. Base weight is simply the weight of the gear on your back. Separating your gear (base weight) from your consumables (food, water, fuel) makes comparing gear lists easier and it helps you figure out how your pack weight is going to change as you hike.

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

…learned something new today. Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you had an emergency kit that contained a pint of water and some food, and if you virtually never ever opened it, then you could begin to treat that kit like part of your base weight.

However, most of the food and water that we carry is intended to be mostly consumed, and that is why it stays on the consumable list.

–B.G.–

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

That totally makes sense. I was coming at it from the angle of "well this water bottle weights 5oz but I'm not bringing it with me empty it's going to be full"

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Most people here gave up on 5-ounce water bottles a long time ago.

Buy a quart of Gatorade, drink it, and then reuse the bottle.

–B.G.–

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Alex, All these comments are right on, I would just stress breaking out consumables into a seperate category as they will change significantly from trip to trip and change significantly within the trips (from beginning to end, and from water stop to water stop). But the gear in your base weight really won't change much based on length of trip. That's why it is your "base" gear weight. Now this weight will change depending on the weather to be encountered so when comparing weights and lists it is important to consider the weather.

Its not that water isnt counted. It is counted in your consumables weights (food, water, fuel) which is typically measured at the beginning of some typical trip distance (I use 2.5 days).

One more thing…a 5 oz water container is sacrilege around here:)

Jamie

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

LOL @ 5oz water container. I agree it should be unlkess it's a 3L water bladder ;) Which I always keep full for extra weight for work outs.

I'm going to need to do some searches on this forum and see what the current thoughts are on DEHP and plastic water bottles.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Food for throught…my 2.5 liter platy weighs 1.3 oz.

Jamie

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

That is definitely food for thought. As of right now I can still shave lbs off my gear so the 3oz don't matter. But wow definitely good to know.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools