Topic

Bugproofing a Golite Hut 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bugproofing a Golite Hut 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Summer is comin', allegedly, so it's time to bugproof this year's tent. My current favourite is the Golite Hut 1. It starts out at a svelte 17oz, which for a storm worthy tent is pretty good. But you need a groundsheet of some kind, ok polycro will do, but if you want your inflating pad safe from gravel and pine needles, Tyvek is a better bet. Add in some no see-um and a bit of help at the sewing machine from my lady Kath and here we have it:

hut1

.hut1-2

Weight has increased a reasonably thrifty 209g or 7.3oz. I'm using a 2oz carbon fibre golf club shaft at 47" for the front pole, and a 1/2oz carbon fibre fishing rod section for the rear. This makes the tent high enough for me and Kath to sit up together while we cook. I like being able to cook away from the mozzies. :-)

In windier conditions or heavy rain, I can just angle the pole over and drop the tent about 6" at the front in a minute or so.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Very cool Rog…

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Hi Rog,

I am a fan of the "Hut 1" for solo trips, but have become a bigger fan of the almost identical Spinnshelter for weight reasons only.
    I now own your old Spinnshlter. I do understand why you like the design, but wonder why you decided to go back to the heavier "Hut1"? The color attracting midges? Durability? Not stealth enough?

I use an SMD Meteor Bivy inside the "Hut 1" and "Spinnshelter", only because it protects from bugs and acts as a ground cloth at the same time.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Hi Steven,

Glad to hear the spinnshelter is going strong. It was visibility and bug attraction which put me off it. I moved on to a green gatewood cape, which was great, but a bit tight for room. I picked up the hut 1 good as new here for $50, and really like it's bombproof feel and perfect size for me and Kath. I couldn't draw up my knees while lying in the spinnshelter when it was hunkered down in storm mode. It's a lovely shaped tent for shedding wind though, and I'm sure you'll be fine with it.

With two of us, a tough tyvek groundcloth plus heat sheet is lighter than seperate bivvies, and anyway, our sleeping bags zip together. :-)

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

I really like that, well done.

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Cheers Mark. It was a tough one deciding whether to put a seperate mesh door in, but you can see quite a lot once you are laying down, so we decided not to. It would have added another couple of ounces and taken me over my target weight for the project.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools