Topic

rain skirt..materials?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear rain skirt..materials?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael Demchak

@mikey

Locale: new england

I’ve been thinking about using a rain skirt instead of rain paints. Since i would plan to use this skirt in a thru-hike the skirt cant be transparent (i dont want to give everyone at the laundramat a show) so i believe silnylon is out (unless black is dark enough to hide my goods?)spinnaker is out (transparent and noisey) would beaten up tyvek work? would it be comfy enough against the skin? how about using epic? how long do you think it would take before a wet out? I’d like to use microprop but its to fragile. any other material recomendations or rain skirt users out there?
    thanks!
    mike!

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

If you get a hold of non-housewrap tyvek, I think it would work well for you.

I have one of these jackets and the material is quite comfy as the ‘stiffness’ keep the material away from your skin pretty well (even in the rain).

Note, this material isn’t as stiff as housewrap, it’s what is commonly called ‘Kite Tyvek'(1443 or 1442)… a number of kite stores have it (Kitebuilder.com, Quest Outfitters, Into the Wind, Hang ’em High). Just steer clear of 1600 series Tyvek, it has microperf holes…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools