Topic

questions about MYOG beer can pots and epoxy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear questions about MYOG beer can pots and epoxy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Got a couple of questions for you guys. Im thinking about making a partially double walled foster beer can pot. The plan is to cut down a full size can, and press the 2 resulting halves to form a doublewalled (for integrity, not insulation purposes) smaller fosters can. To help visualize it, this is what I would do. Take a safety cutter, and cut off the lid, and set aside. Then cut the pot right into the middle, and "squish" the upper half down around the lower (what will become the inner wall) half. Aim is to to try to make it hold a wee bit over 1.5 cups

My question is this…do you think the pressing of the two halves together will result in a nice enough seal that I won't have to worry about water coming inbetween the walls? The seam will be at the very top of the pot. Since its capacity will be a bit over 1.5, I will just fill the pot w/ water, so that its a hair below the seam, and will still be 1.5 cups. My only worries are that when the water boils, some of it will leap up and into the seam.

I know minibulldesigns claims to use food grade epoxy for any sealing of pots. Not sure where to find this, but I assume it'll work.

My other option, is to just to use a heineken keg can. Not the 24oz ones that everone uses, but rather the lil ones you find in a 6 pack. Only problem is, my current safety can opener won't grab cans this small. I think I can mod it to work…anyone ever use a safety cutter on these smaller keg cans?

Thanks!

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

yep, pressing the two together creates a really tight seam. i even had a place in mine where there was a little fold and it still held water just fine

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

thanks Derek! Did you have access to any tools? I'm working with a dremel and 2 left hands :)

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

When heated, I'm guessing that this is going to be *dramatically* transformed into a single wall pot due to the trapped air between the two layers! :D

But, maybe I'm not visualizing how tightly they'll fit?

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Nope, no tools. Just stretched it over the bottom of another can and then fiddled with it until I could manage to fit it over.

Not the best photos, but all I have at the time.

oiwej

kuhg

hrrhw

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

This isnt a double wall pot in the sense that there are two seperate walls that somehow make it more efficient as in some wood burners, the double wall just makes it sturdier than a regular fosters can and cuts down on the size since 24 oz is way more than I usually need. The fit is water tight and is somewhat tough to fit one over the other given that they start off exactly the same size.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Derek, how much of the top of the can are you using there? (inches wise i guess) I can't tell where it ends under your white wrap. I tried to make both halves about equal length, but when I went to press fit both sides together, the inner walls got super wrinkly when the outer wall was pushed more than halfway down the inner wall. By the time the two walls were finally nested in their final position, the inner wall had a huge wrinkle in it that rendered it unusable. Not sure if ill try again….i cant bring myself to drink another 24oz of foster's poor interpretation of beer…shudder

Any tips as to how to slide the outer walls over the inner? I had the toughest time not getting the inner wall wrinkled/creased when fitting the 2 together

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools