Topic

TT Moment vs. TT Contrail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion TT Moment vs. TT Contrail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    david hensley

@aliasdave

I'm starting the PCT in less than 2 weeks. I was planning on using a bivy, but have decided against it on the weight to comfort ratio.

I like the Moment for the simplicity of the set up, entry, and vestibule. The Contrail is 4 ounces lighter, and no poles, but it looks a little harder to set up and I don't like the entry from the longer side.

Does anyone have experience with hiking with one of these tents?

Lunar Solo, anything special about it? looks like a hard setup after a tough day of walking.

Thanks in advance!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The Moment deflects the winds from most all directions — something the long, unsupported sides of the Contrail can't match.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I have both the Lunar Solo and the Moment. I like both tentns for different reasons. The lunar Solo has a little more room than the Moment. They both weigh about the same, but I like my Moment for fast set up 1 pole 2 stakes and its done. The Lunar takes more stakes but only uses one trekking pole. So it comes down to more room and more stakes, or less room, less stakes and faster set up. Their both great tents, but for long distance I would probably go Moment, just because it sets up faster. Jack

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

Hi David,

I've both the Contrail and the Moment. Both are excellent lightweight tents and are very easy and very fast to set up.

Regarding the Contrail you wrote:
    >>"I don't like the entry from the longer side." – I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Entry is through the high front end.

Comparing the ease of set up: The Moment is without doubt simpler to set up and easier to achieve a very taut pitch. It is also better in wind then the Contrail (as Ben pointed out). The Contrail is also very easy to set up but does require a little bit more fiddling to get a perfect pitch. Having said that though, the difference between the two is pretty marginal.

I have used both tents on extended multi-week walks here in Australia. They are both excellent shelters and despite some pretty rough weather including thunderstorms, hail, and snow I stayed dry and comfortable.

The Moment can be used quite effectively without the lengthways cross pole. I decided to leave it at home on my last long walk and the Moment handled some high winds and hailstorms quite adequately without it. This shaves off 200 grams from your weight. However, if you are expecting particularly foul weather it would good to have it with you.

All the best for your walk.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools