Topic

Purgatoire River , Eastern Colorado

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Purgatoire River , Eastern Colorado

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Starter Stub – Fee free to add

"This canyon also known at Picketwire Canyon is located south of La Junta Colorado. This beautiful unspoiled canyon is an excellent place to visit. Tucked into the cayon are ruins of old homesteads, an historic ranch, native rock art and the longest set of exposed dinosaur tracks in North America. The area is part of the Comanche National Grasslands so special conditions apply to your visit. Also, take plenty of water the temperatures in the summer can reach over 105 degrees. Tours are available from the local grasslands office by appointment. Contact them at 719.384.2181

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

"Overnight camping is not allowed."

Oddly enough, though, my XO just told me about those dinosaur tracks a few days ago. So it does look interesting for a dayhike with the little one.

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

I'm a local.

This spring should be nice and green, it's just now starting, early-mid May should be peak for the cooler season grasses, a month later the Cholla Cactus will be in bloom. Would make a nice mountain bike trip or hike, it is about 17 miles roundtrip if you do the entire route.

And please help appreciate our environment, economy and history and work to prevent the Army and U.S. government from taking any more of it away. http://www.pinoncanyon.com/.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools