Topic

big agnes mummy style mattresses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) big agnes mummy style mattresses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Richard Sullivan
    BPL Member

@richard-s

Locale: Supernatural BC

Thanks Richard, yes I did figure that out I think! Big Agnes should install a layer of metallized mylar film within the IAC mattress. My assessment of the mattress is that the PL2 layer is probably only 1.8 oz/sqyd, very thin indeed and probably not blocking all the radiant heat loss. Doesn’t it seem that a reflective layer could provide significant benefit at very little extra weight?

And I bet Olivia can outsing Agnes :)

Jim Ells

@ellsfamily

As I promised to do, I have now used my ‘frame sheet’, about an 18″x20″ piece of Ridge rest mattress for an additional torso insulator between my back and the IAC in the sleeve of my Mica bag. I have slept well and not gotten the early morning chill in my back. Another case of “multiple use” in an item. So, I’ll just slip it in on cooler nights when necessary.
    Jim Ells

Brian Griffith
    Spectator

@03bart

I’ve also been following this since I’m looking for the warmest possible pad for my wife who is definitely a cold sleeper.

Very interesting, but I didn’t understand this statement:
    ‘When you lay directly on reflective Mylar there isn’t a sufficient air gap to reflect the long-wave IR.’

Thanks,
    B

Anonymous

From a cold sleeping, comfort seeking woman’s point of view, there are two issues here. One is comfort and support, which is beautifully handled by the Big Agnes (the most comfortable air mattress on which I have slept) and insulation from cold, which the Thermarest Prolite3-Womens mattress provides. The combination is unbeatable, but not for lightweight backpacking. Your wife needs to determine whether she values comfort over cold.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools