Topic

MYOG Neck Warmer/ Face Cover

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Neck Warmer/ Face Cover

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

So I found this stretchy synthetic fabric that seems to trap heat nicely and I was thinking about sewing a pull-over wrap that surrounds my neck like a scarf but that is long enough to wear over my face in windy conditions or just to keep my nose and ears warm.

I really want to make it double thick though since the point is warmth but I have a problem with the seam not being stretchy. The material is very stretchy (which is beneficial because I want it to cling around my neck and stay close, but at the same time it would have to fit around my head when putting it on). The problem I came up with is if I make the seam around the neck the width of my head it is too loose and if its tailored to the neck it won't fit over my head.

I drew up a little diagram to show you what I'm basically trying to do and the way i tried (and failed). Anybody have any ideas or ways to go about making something like this?MYOG Neck Warmer

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

You could just skip step 2 and leave that seam open… As long as the fabric sticks to itself OK, it should be fine.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It looks like a Buff, except with a seam. But much less expensive. But then you have a seam. A conundrum.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I could go without a seam there, but I'd really rather have something there. I was thinking maybe instead of one long seam around the neck I could do little short groups of seams, that way it holds together and when I pull it over my head it would expand in between the groups of seams. Anybody else have tips or tricks, or experience with doing something like that?

Ken: That's totally what I'm going for. I had never seen one of those until you just said that and I google searched it. I had no clue they made something like this (I mean I was pretty sure, I just didn't know what it was called or anything like that). Thanks for that! I may just use the fabric for something else and shell out the money for a buff haha.

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

Not sure if this will work, but maybe worth a shot.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Try a multi-stitch zig-zag with medium stitch length.

Elastic thread would also work, but can be tricky.

Cheers

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

I appreciate all your input but I just broke-down and bought a buff. It's really nice! The fact that it has no seams still baffles me.

I think I learned a lot though about this attempted project and It gives me other ideas! :) So yeah.. thanks again!

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

My sewing machine has a stretch stitch function for sewing elastic materials, check to see if yours does too, it could be useful for future projects.

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Locale: San Francisco East Bay

"Buff® is made with special knitting machines that weave in a tubular manner creating a unique product without no irritating seams or hems."

from: http://www.buff.com.au/faqs/general/buff-has-no-seams.html

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> "Buff® is made with special knitting machines that weave in a tubular manner
    > creating a unique product without no irritating seams or hems."
    That is actually somewhat misleading. See this pic of a buff from the Buff web site:
    Buff
    There is 'no seam' because it is knitted on a standard tubular knitting machine (very common).
    If it has 'no hems' than that is because they rely on the way the edges roll up to conceal them. Fair enough, but different from what James was asking for.

Cheers

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Locale: San Francisco East Bay

The ends of my buff are not hemmed, just raw ends of fabric.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

We are living in a high tech world. Take a close look at any modern T-Shirt, they don't have a seam either.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools