Topic

Narrowed it down to 2 Bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Narrowed it down to 2 Bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Hart

@drmguy

Locale: Orange County

I am thinking either the golite ultra quilt or the wm summerlite for JMT late july early august.

Any advice between the two?

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

You can't go wrong with either pick. Both will be warm enough. The main differences are quality, versatility and what best fits your sleep style. The WM is a higher quality bag, but IMO a quilt can be used over a greater temp range which is more important to me. Last year on the JMT my wife and I used a custom 2 person sleeping quilt which we found pretty perfect. On warmer nights we opened it up so we did not overheat and when it was colder at the higher elevations we tightened it around us.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Given the choice, I'd take the Summerlite, provided its a comfortable fit. It's 6 ounces lighter, better made (and made in the US), and I've read mixed reviews on whether or not the Golite Ultra lives up to the 20 degree temp rating. Which, by the way, you're not likely to need on the JMT in late July or August. If you want versatility, just unzip the bag all the way. Quilt/unzipped sleeping bag = same/same.

Plus, if you've never slept in a quilt before in temps under 40 degrees you may be in for an eye opener. Without a bivy sack, relatively wind resistant insulating clothing, or a solid wall tent drafts and wind gusts are very difficult to mitigate. Too high of a fiddle factor for the (maybe) 5% weight savings. And, I don't want to be conscious when I roll my lazy a$$ over.

Ryan Hart

@drmguy

Locale: Orange County

6' 165 lbs so i think i will be slender enough

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I'm 6'0 and 190-ish. I own the Ultralight, which I believe is cut the same. In it I can wear a baselayer and an insulated jacket with no issues. Personally I like the tight fit- makes me feel more cocooned in. You should have no issues with the WM bag, even with very lofty down insulating outerwear.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Without a doubt I would go with the WM. It is lighter and more versatile…use as a quilt when warm, zip up when cold or windy. Since it's wider than the GoLite, it will even make a better quilt (better coverage).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools