Topic

a few soups for dehydrating

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition a few soups for dehydrating

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

Run all of these through a blender or food processor before dehydrating for a more even consistency. I also like to bulk them up sometimes with either a ramen packet without the spices, a taste of thai packet without the seasonings, or with rice noodles. I like to make these for my dinner and then dehydrate the left-overs :)

GINGERED SQUASH + SWEET POTATO SOUP

serves 4-6

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1 1/2 cups diced onion (about 3/4 of a large onion – I used yellow)
    1/2 tspn cumin
    1/8 tspn cayenne pepper
    pinch cinnamon
    pinch curry powder
    salt & pepper to taste
    2 tspn freshly grated ginger (I used 1 1/2 tbspn & it was STRONG!)
    2 lbs butternut or acorn squash peeled and diced (about 4 cups – I had less and it was fine)
    1 lb sweet potato peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
    3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth

Warm olive oil in medium size pot over medium-low heat. Add garlic & onion and saute, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent (5-6 minutes). Stir in spices and salt & pepper, saute until spiced become fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ginger, squash & sweet potato and mix well. Cover with the broth and bring to a boil (I added a little water but it was because I was short on broth). Once boil begins, lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth.

BLACK BEAN SOUP recipe stolen from Rachel Ray (serves 4)

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 large dried bay leaf
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    3 ribs celery with greens, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    3 (15-ounce) cans black beans
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
    salt and pepper
    2 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce
    2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, diced tomatoes with peppers and onions or stewed tomatoes

Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add oil to hot pot then bay leaves, jalapeno, garlic, celery and onions. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, then add red peppers and continue to cook. Drain 2 cans of beans and add them. With remaining can, pour the juice and half the beans into the pot. Use a fork to mash up the beans remaining in the can. Stir the mashed beans into the pot and season with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and 2 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce. Add stock and tomatoes to the stoup and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes over low heat.

SPICY BLACK EYED PEA + SWEET POTATO SOUP

1-2 Tablespoons Safflower or Vegetable oil
    2 Onions, diced
    2 Stalks of Celery, diced
    4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 cups dried black-eyed peas, picked over & rinsed
    6 cups water
    1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
    1/2 teaspoon Rosemary, dried
    1 Sweet Potato, peeled and diced, about 2 1/2 cups once diced
    1 16-ounce can diced Tomatoes
    4 cups Vegetable Broth
    1/3 Cup Mixed Grain & Brown Rice
    1 tablespoon Sriracha Hot Sauce
    1/2 teaspoon Smoked Sweet Paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onions and sauté for about 3 minutes, until they begin to soften. Add the celery and garlic to the onions, stirring, for 3 minutes more. Add the black-eyed peas, water along with the dried oregano. Boil until the peas are tender. Add cubed sweet potato, tomatoes, along with all their juice and the vegetable stock. Return the pot to medium-high heat. Bring it to a rolling simmer. Add rice, Sriracha, paprika, rosemary, salt and pepper, then continue to cook until the sweet potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.

VEGAN RED LENTIL SOUP (serves 4)

1 tablespoon peanut oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 pinch fenugreek seeds (only if you have it – fine without)
    1 cup dry red lentils
    1 cup butternut squash – peeled,seeded, and cubed
    1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
    2 cups water
    1/2 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    1 pinch ground nutmeg
    salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion, ginger, garlic, and fenugreek until onion is tender. Mix the lentils, squash, and cilantro into the pot. Stir in the water, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Season with curry powder, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until lentils and squash are tender.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Well yum! Those soups sound really great. I love soup.

Sue Markwood

@suemarkwood

The soups look fabulous…can't wait to try them! What is the best apple to dehydrate, giving the sweetest results?

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Some of the heirloom apple nurseries list Black Oxford, golden russet, yellow transparent and criterion as good varieties for drying.
    If you are in the Northeast, go to Scott Farm in Dummerston VT in the fall. They have at least 70 varieties of heirloom apples. From the apples I've tasted fresh not dried, I'd guess the following would make spectacular dried apples:
    Cox's Orange Pippin
    Orleans Reinette
    Golden Russet

This time of year dry whatever you can get.

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Locale: deep south

Angela, your soups sound fantastic. I am such a soup person. I've never tried dehydrating my own food but I can start! could you give directions on how to dehydrate your soups?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools