Topic

Long Trail End-to-End

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike McHenry

@mtmche2

I am new to BPL, so howdy do everyone!

I am planning a LT thru-hike this August before I head back to school. I am thinking of starting the first week of August and heading north. Can anyone point me in the direction of other members who have done a thru on the LT, or any other threads that might be worth taking a look at? Maybe someone has a relatively recent guidebook that they are no longer using…

Also, is anyone else going to be out on the trail at this time? Thanks!

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

Awesome have fun. Thats a good time of year it is always a gamble with the weather but August and September are usually the best windows. Definately get an up to date guidebook as there have been some reroutes. A lighter/Cheaper option is the full long trail map. One piece with good info. You should be able to find it online.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

The WhiteBlaze Long Trail Forum is fairly active and has a lot of info if you haven't already checked it out.

tommy d

@vinovampire

If I were you, I'd contact the The Green Mountain Club. You can buy the most recent trail guide and as others have mentioned, that's really your best bet. Also, they actually have a list of people who have completed the trail who can offer you advice and ideas.

I agree that July/Aug/Sept is typically the best time of year to hike the LT. Most years, June is very wet and rainy. When I hiked most of the LT a couple years ago, June was perfect, but Aug and Sept were great too.

I live in VT and have spent countless hours on the LT over the past 10 years. I'll be on the LT this weekend. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you.

Best,
    ViP

John Drollette

@tradja

Locale: Central Oregon

Mike, have a gret time out there! I'm jealous — the LT is on my bucket list.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools