Topic

Wisconsin camping!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wisconsin camping!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

So, Wisconsin gets very little air time here on BPL, so I thought I'd do my part. Here's some pictures from an overnighter this past week up in the Chequemagon-Niclolet National Forest.

I'm camped next to the Peshtigo River, near Blackwell, WI.

river

tent

river 2

tenet2

me

sunset

night fire

The next morning. It looks warm, but its only 15 F!

next morning

shoe sun

sun

bonsai!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Is there any serious wildlife in there?

–B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Black bear. I've run into them several times, but since Wisconsin allows black bear hunting, they're very afraid of people. Regardless, I practice safe food storage.

There are plenty of deer, some porcupines, bald eagles, coyote and wolf packs, and there was a moose reported in Crandon a few years ago (about 18 miles away). There are also some rare fishers. The picture below is taken from wikipedia. I've only ever seen one, and it was a pretty cool animal. They can apparently kill a porcupine with relative ease–one of the only animals in the forest that bother to do so.

fisher

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Wow, a fisher!

They are not extremely rare, but they are certainly elusive. They may be present, but they are seldom seen. I have maybe a half-dozen shots of a fisher, but that took a lot of work.

I would encourage you to get back out there with a good camera, or else get a "trail-cam" that will automatically shoot wildlife photos when the animal walks in front of the camera.
    –B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

My family has some property up there, so I get up to the northwoods quite frequently. I was sitting in a tree stand one morning (just observing; I don't hunt) when I saw a black animal in the distance. It was big enough where I initially thought it was a baby bear, but when it got closer, I realized it was a fisher. This thing ran back and forth along a downed tree for about 5 minutes before retreating in the direction it came.

We used to have a trail cam, but got tired of developing the film. Now that the digital ones have come down in price, I think its time for a new one.

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

Awesome Travis. Were you on the Ice Age? And if I could get the coordinates for that campsite that would be great. lol That is a sweet sweet site.

Also is that a Rainshadow 2 you're using? I guess regardless had any bad issues with condensation on single walls here in the northwoods? I'm thinking about picking one up for the fiance and I. I have a lunar solo but haven't put a two person to the test yet.

Jealous man, I haven't made it out yet. And it's supposed to be almost in the seventies this week!!! Maybe time to slack off on the coding and make a quick overnight run to at least North Kettle Moraine or something.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The only trick of the trail-cam is that you need to cable it onto a solid tree very well, and then camouflage the cable with camo tape so that it will not be seen and stolen.
    –B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Shawn,
    No, I wasn't along the IAT. But the coordinates (according to Google Maps) are:

45.570598, -88.511020‎
    +45° 34' 14.15", -88° 30' 39.67"

I must admit its sort of a "cheater" campsite. Up where my family has property, there aren't really any hiking trails around long enough to camp on (most are under a mile) so I hike down the forest roads and camp wherever I want. This spot is well known though, and often has tents on it.

There are a few trails I've discovered recently that I have to check out this summer.

I'm using a Squall 2. Yeah, too much for a solo trip, but since I usually go out with the girlfriend, I don't have a solo shelter. We normally use a Double Rainbow, and as long as we leave the vestibules open, there is usually little to no condensation. But, the DR is big enough so rubbing up against the walls is pretty much avoidable.

Ah, Kettle Moraine. Its just a pain having to make reservations every time I go! I might pick up a seasonal pass so some of that hassle is alleviated.

Bob,
    thanks for the trail cam tips!

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Rivers are where it's at.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Nice, Travis!

Note to self: add Wisconsin to list.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I've done a lot more research lately on trails in WI. I'm slowly starting to find some places to hike!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools