Topic

Shelter conundrum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shelter conundrum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Stargazer, who snores so hard his fillings come loose"

Stargazer, who snores so hard MY fillings come loose!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hey Tom, my transportation offer still stands, BTW.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

"Stargazer, who snores so hard his fillings come loose"

Stargazer, who snores so hard MY fillings come loose!

Stargazer, who snores so hard, the STARS come loose!

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

>Stargazer, who snores so hard MY fillings come loose!

The Idester knows whereof he speaks on this issue, having experiences the Earthquake-like roar o' my snore for a night in a shelter on the AT.

Snnnnnzzzzzzzkkkkkkkggggggg, gluk, gluk, gluk,

Stargazer

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I am going to have to disagree with the naysaying of shelters. I've slept in PLENTY (maybe 40-50 nights total) of shelters from NC to NY and while they aren't always clean and tidy I think the image of rodents running off with your socks is a bit overboard. Just hang your food on the big metal pole puzzle devices and you'll be fine. And I seriously doubt you're going to have a hard time finding space unless there's a Boy Scout troop in the area…but they're more likely to be carrying tents.

Also, in Shenandoah you're pretty much consigned to sleep in the shelter areas due to park regs. You can't camp within a quarter mile of a paved surface and the AT thru Shenandoah is a ridge walk, which parallels Skyline Drive most of the way. Finding a flat, level spot to camp and not be within a stone's throw of Skyline is tough to pull off. Oh, and no camping within 50yards of any structures is verboten, so no camping on the lawn of that nice forest service cabin, either. Unless you've got a penchant for breaking park regs, which everyone seems to feel they're entitled to do…

Now north of SNP you can camp mostly anywhere but I'll bet you're going to end up camping right next to the shelters anyway. They're spaced conveniently, almost always have water, and a privy. And, if you really snore that loud, you'll probably have the place to yourself…

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

I'd expect to set up my tent near the shelter because of the proximity to the water source. I might consider the shelter if it's pouring rain, of course. Doug Ide and I just got off a night at a shelter in Maryland. Even with 1.5 feet of snow on the ground and hazardous walking conditions, the shelter was packed by 3 PM –with three or four folks arriving at 11 PM (!) hoping to squeeze in.

Don't get me wrong. I love people. I'll love them even more if I can spend a week or so away from them. :->

Besides, the "nut to butt" experience is not my cup of tea, TYVM. ;-)

Cordially,

Stargazerino, who loves his comfort, especially during the slarn phase (obscure movie reference)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Sorry Russell, but the rat did run off with a friend's sock. And you don't have to camp in the shelters only. I hike there year round and have found some nice camping areas within the rules of the park. I have been run over by skunks in the winter, mice in the summer, mice dropping in the shelter…which is swept away with a broom left in the shelter. Mice carry a virus as well. Yes, one can camp outside the shelter in the desginated areas f you want to use a tent.

As all things, sleep where you want, hike your own hike.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Have you finally decided which tents to sell? :)

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Shoot. I love them all. I'll sell the Lunar Solo E for sure.

I'd sell the Sublite Sil, but I trimmed out that useless inner porch flap to save half an ounce. Nobody will want damaged goods, even though you can't use the inner flat to make the "drip-free" entrance without leaving the mesh door open.

The One is just a tad to hard to get a good pitch with and the Sublite is only 3 oz heavier, so The One will probably go, too. Too bad the Sublite doesn't have a decent vestibule like The One. Sigh.

I love the Moment, Contrail, and Gatewood too much to part with them. They all have their specific uses.

I've talked myself out of using the Gatewood/ Serenity combo for my AT trip — too small and hard to set up under adverse circumstances. I really intend to use the Gatewood only during the bug-free months.

The Sublite is small and it lacks a vestibule — great for a night or two out, but too constricting for 10 days.

I'm leaning toward the Contrail or the Moment for the AT trip, but 24 or 28 oz sounds like so much more than the 18 oz of The One, especially when i just successfully eliminated a (gasp) full ounce by replacing by sleeping-bag stuff sack with a Reynolds oven bag. :-)

The One is actually a good compromise. Perhaps I'll practice with it and see if I can get a better, faster pitch. Nah. Too many stakeout point, despite the roomy vestibule and light weight.

I love my comfort, though, and the Moment, especially, and the Contrail, as well, are really roomy and exquisitely easy to set up.

Shoot. Your advice has been very good, folks. I appreciate it. Perhaps I'm overthinking here.

Stargazer

"I buy gear. Therefore, I am."

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools