Topic

Hennessy Hammock Weight Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hennessy Hammock Weight Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ben Satterfield

@satterfield-bengmail-com

Locale: Virginia

So myself and my brother-in-law are considering getting the Hennessy Hammocks. The Backpacker version is rated for 200lbs weight limit where as the Expedition is rated at 250lbs.

I currently weigh 195lbs, (trying to cut back on Hot Coco every morning). I'm concern that my weight is too close to the max.

Anybody else borderline on the max weigh issue that has used the hammock? I want to get the Backpacker version since it lighter, but I don't want to rip through it after a week of being a fatty. :)

Thanks

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Hi Ben,

I don't own either (am a ground dweller ;)

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Might also give a thought to height limits – I am 5'7" and found the backpacker to be rather less comfortable (tended to roll on my side and end with the face against the netting) than it was supposed to be.

This question has indeed been asked ("Big guy needs big guy hammock") and answered at hammockforums.net

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a hyperlite and when I purchased it, I weighed 210 lbs. The weight limit on it is 200. Forunately I'm under that now, but slept in it many nights while being over the limit. They put limits to protect Hennessey, but I guarantee you if the weight limit is XXX, it can handle atleast 20% more weight. The ropes on my hyperlight have like 1300lb test strength.

Hope this helps.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You'll be fine. My son in law is 15 pound over the limit for his and it's held up for years with no signs of strain.

Jarrod Handwerk

@pa_hiker

Locale: Orwigsburg PA

but I guarantee you if the weight limit is XXX, it can handle atleast 20% more weight. The ropes on my hyperlight have like 1300lb test strength.

it's not the weight limit of the rope you worry about…it's the weight limit of the body of the hammock…
    i think the backpacker is made of 1.1

i use hammocks and make hammocks as well…i think at 10lbs over the weight limit you should be ok…i wouldn't push it much more …
    i would also look into a WarBonnet blackbird…
    for the little extra you are going to pay it's well worth in in the long run

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

I tried the HH for a wile, I am well under the recommended weight and height but had terrible fits with trying to get comfortable. Yes I also think you will be ok on the hammock holding but comfort will be compromised most likely. I switched to a Black Bird and like it a lot more. I am instantly comfortable in the BB. Just my $0.02

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Another consideration… the double layer 1.1 Blackbird will hold up under your weight easily, and weigh about the same as the Ultralight Backpacker (less if you swap out the suspension to whoopie slings). And the double layer will let you use a pad comfortably, unlike the bottom entry HH.

Also, the first thing anyone who backpacks a lot will do is buy a bigger tarp, after picking up a Hennessy – it looks like a real good deal but unless you are a fair weather camper, the stock HH tarp doesn't give you much room for anything but sleeping. So the fact that a Blackbird does not come with a tarp off the bat is a feature, not a bug – you base tarp selection on your needs. Warbonnet has a nice selection of tarps in several sizes, with optional doors for all.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

FWIW, there's a big 'hang' going on in the area in April. Lots of different hammocks and such. From what I understand, people without hammocks but interested in moving to hammocks are welcome to come, set up a tent, and see all the various hammocks out there. Friendly folk are happy to tell you all about their hammocks/set ups. Might be worth waiting and attending before buying one.

Jarrod Handwerk

@pa_hiker

Locale: Orwigsburg PA

Doug your talking about the Mahha hang April 16,17,18
    there will be lots of setup to check out
    i plan on going but i will know for sure that week..

if i come i plan on bringing an extra hammock in case someone wants to try one out..

and yes all are welcome

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks for the info Jarrod!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools