Topic

Nano Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ralph Quijano
    BPL Member

@rquijano

Locale: Central California

OK. I just got the BPL Cuben Fiber tarp. It came with spectra cord and white plastic clips, but NO instructions! How do I use these clips? Is there an optimal way to set this up? Is there a best height off the ground etc?

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

That's really odd. I just looked at my guyline/tensioners and they didn't have instructions included either. I already have the BPL Nano line kit, which came with instructions, and if I can find them, I'll scan them in later and post. Until then, look at this pictures of the tensioners in action, and maybe you can figure it out from there..

James Wyrwicki
    BPL Member

@jim1233988

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

It is important to get the direction correct on the knotted end. Both ways will cam and lock the line, but the MLD image below shows how to get it done right.

BPL Nano Line Lock2
    This is the BPL supplied image. If you do it this way, the "loop end" of the line can get buried in the lock, becoming almost impossible to extricate. Very Frustrating.

MLDMiniLineLock
    This is the MLD supplied image. This is the Right way to thread and knot the line. By doing it this way you can easily get the loop back.

Try it both ways to understand what happens.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Great timing on this thread……I'll be messing around with the BPL guyline kit on my duomid later this afternoon. Nice tip on how to thread the cord through the line lock, I can see where the other way would be a problem.

My understanding is the BPL guyline I bought is too small for the MLD cord locks, but I'm not sure. That will be easy to verify.

If not, I guess I cut them off and use the BPL tensioners?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

David,
    I'll suggest leaving the LineLocks attached for a while. You can run the thin cord through and knot it or tie it off, then use the MiniLocks on the other end as you intended.

After a trip or two you'll know if you want to keep the LineLocks or not.

I happen to like them. I put a permanent loop on the stake end, and just drop it over. Then I tension from the shelter end. I find them easier to operate than the Mini, especially in wet freezing weather. The weight penalty for 3mm line is worth it for me.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

excellent suggestion Greg……you likely saved me from myself!

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

+1 on the 3mm cord being preferable in cold, wet weather. I bought my Duo for winter camping and didn't want to cut of the linelocks for that reason. I hadn't thought of doing this:

You can run the thin cord through and knot it or tie it off, then use the MiniLocks on the other end as you intended.

in the summer when I didn't want to carry the heavier 3mm cord. Thanks.

Ralph Quijano
    BPL Member

@rquijano

Locale: Central California

Customer Service sent instructions for use. Look at http://www.line-lok.com. They have a page of illustrations that is very helpful.

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

Thanks Greg. This thread was very timely as I was just messing around with my Lair 1 and an MLD tarp here the last few weeks. Yeah both the BPL and the MLD methods work. After trying both methods it is clear that the MLD method of threading does seem to provide "cleaner action" when operating the tensioner. Thanks for the tip.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools